AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 4308 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just switched from Comcast over to the Verizon FIOS TV service. The DVR they brought out is a Motorola 6414. My universal remote I had programmed for the 6412 does just about everything, except I lost my 30 sec skip and my "replay" button.

I can get my replay back no problem since my universal will learn the command, but the 30 second skip was a hidden feature on the previous box.

Any ideas on the code for these 6414 boxes to get my skip back? I'll be lost without it!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfisher1 /forum/post/0

I just switched from Comcast over to the Verizon FIOS TV service. The DVR they brought out is a Motorola 6414. My universal remote I had programmed for the 6412 does just about everything, except I lost my 30 sec skip and my "replay" button.

I can get my replay back no problem since my universal will learn the command, but the 30 second skip was a hidden feature on the previous box.

Any ideas on the code for these 6414 boxes to get my skip back? I'll be lost without it!

Here in Irving, TX, we got the QIP6416-1 boxes (larger hard drive) for the FIOS TV. Not sure about the 30 sec skip, but our remote has a replay button on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdewey /forum/post/0

I'm in Southlake, and am waiting for this to become available in my area. Can you comment on the picture quality of the HD channels on FIOS TV?

I think the picture quality is great. I've only really watched HDNET and one NBC broadcast so far. I have a Mits 65" RPTV. Either the signal is superior to comcast, or HDNet just looks REALLY good.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I am thinking seriously about this switch from DirecTV (at least as a trial). Am I correct in assuming that the 6414 has a 140GB drive and the 6416 has a 160GB drive? This would provide a lot more than the 85 hours of recording that my recent FIOS letter (and their website) claim, unless FIOS is drastically less compressed than what D* is providing.

Any insight into how much HD storage these puppies have? This is a major issue for me.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
25 hours works for me I think. We have never filled up the HD-TiVo so far.

Another question (which may be a bit off-topic): What kind of service duration do you have to sign up for with FIOS TV? Is it a minimum 1 year, etc.? Note that I recently moved my phone service to Vonage, so don't get any advantage of being a Verizon phone customer.

·
Registered
694 Posts
wfisher1 and RScottyL, ( and anyone else with Verizon FiOS DVR) Can you tell us which guide system Verizon is using and compare it with comcast I-guide which you had previously?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTDT /forum/post/0

25 hours works for me I think. We have never filled up the HD-TiVo so far.

Another question (which may be a bit off-topic): What kind of service duration do you have to sign up for with FIOS TV? Is it a minimum 1 year, etc.? Note that I recently moved my phone service to Vonage, so don't get any advantage of being a Verizon phone customer.

There is no commitment, contract, or installation charge for FIOS TV service at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewlew /forum/post/0

wfisher1 and RScottyL, ( and anyone else with Verizon FiOS DVR) Can you tell us which guide system Verizon is using and compare it with comcast I-guide which you had previously?

I've only used D* previuosly, so I'm not familiar with the guide system that my HD-PVR uses. It has the Verizon logo plastered all over the place though. Seems pretty easy to use.

FWIW, they brought me the 160GB version of the HD-PVR.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewlew /forum/post/0

I'm not positive who makes this guide (I think it's the microsoft version though). Compared to the comcast, it's very similair. It still doesn't specify a "new" tag on comedy central and MTV shows (and a few of the other cable networks). So, you end up recording 24 hours a day worth of repeats. However, it does offer a "Record at this time only" option which my comcast box did not.

Other than that they are very similair. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. My verizon hasn't locked up or slowed down at all while browsing the channel listing. The comcast would do that to me all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had fios tv for several months in Keller.

Picture quality is great better than anything I've ever seen. (Store or any other service)

The guide is a little week ...ie search feature similar to dish. I personally think direct tv has the guide thing down. I've had to call them several times to reset my stb. Mostly on my hdstb but it just happened on one of the sdstb.

Happy New Year, E

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
It's interesting that they just announced: "The new Motorola QIP6416 is a high-definition (HD) capable, dual-tuner DVR with watch-and-record capability; the Motorola QIP6200 is a single-HD tuner set-top; and the Motorola QIP2500 is a single-tuner standard-definition model." at the CES.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4241340&EDATE=

RScottyL,

Do you have any info on the MoCA function of your QIP6416 ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc /forum/post/0

QIP ... QAM/IP ... cute.

Anyway ... anyone getting VOD via Verizon Fios TV should be using MoCA ...

Not much other deployed use for it (yet) ...

This is correct. There is a MoCA adapter installed after the router that delivers the VOD. Our tech mentioned that 2nd quarter of 2006 they should be enabling communication between your STB's via the COAX. That and that the ONT will be replaced with a bulit into MoCA feature.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The QIP6416 DVR that Verizon is distributing currently apparently has firewire. There have been various postings about the ability or inability to transfer recordings over this interface. I haven't paid that much attention to them but you may be interested.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone have a good email address or name & phone # of someone at Verizon TV that we can pass along "wishlist" changes to the MS guide 1.7? I know all of us have a few remote changes we'd like. One thing I ran across Sunday night, while a recording is in process I wanted to extend the run time by 30 minutes, so I went to the recording menu saw the program, it was recording, selected it and the only options I could get to initially was the series options. I went into series options and then selected "last", then I could get to the current recording options. Is that a bug or is there a better way to get to the current recording options? I couldn't find one at the time.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Hi all, seriously considering a switch to Verizon FiOS. I just want to make sure I can record the HD channels (especially the HD movie channels) to a D-VHS machine without issue.

I'm sorry if this has been answered, I think it takes some kind of magic to use the AVS search function and I could only find vague references.

TIA,

Dave

1 - 20 of 4308 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.