AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else had any interesting experiences with this new Quantum recorder FIOS is offering. The slow under powered Linux box.
A software upgrade a month ago wiped the whole recorder which was about 60 % full at the time.
Verizon said sorry, but there was nothing they could do about it. They pushed an untested beta upgrade and had a few problems.
And it is not very smart. Whenever a show changes day or time it is a 50 - 50 chance it will record. Usually not though.
The picture does look really good at 1080p 120. But the operating system leaves a lot to be desired for a new machine.
And the extension boxes work better than the main recorder over the IP network. Fast even response via IP.
Directly the recorder responds slowly to commands and sometime you have to put a channel number 2 or 3 times to get the right channel.
Verizon told me they won't let the main recorder be fed by anything other than RG6 coax and not CAT5/6 which works much better.
Even though the optical interface box in the garage has an RG45 connector for CAT6 coax Verizon says the main recorder will only take a coax input.
Even though I have the Quantum router and two 8 port giga switches with 16 CAT6 cables distributed throughout the house which work really well.
The wireless does have good range b,g,n, AC. I listened to Pandora and walked around our block and did not lose signal.
The router is about 12 ft off the floor above a closet in the middle of the house.
It works well with the 50/50 FIOS internet, that always speed tests at 57 meg down and 67 upload speeds. Can't complain there.
I just wanted to see if anyone else is having any interesting experiences with the new Quantum replacement for the Motorola boxes Verizon previously had.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts