AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled across this posting on Broadband Reports regarding the possible lineup for Verizon's FIOS TV. Like the original post said, some of the channels don't exist yet.

Here's their (proposed?) HD lineup.

800 Discovery HD

801 UniversalHD

802 HDNet

803 HDNet Movies

804 ESPN-HD

805 ABC-HD

806 NBC-HD

807 CBS-HD

808 FOX-HD

809 PBS-HD

810 In Demand 1 HD

811 In Demand 2 HD

812 TNT-HD

813 A&E HD

814 MTV-HD

815 Spike-HD

816 MSG-HD

817 NBATV-HD

818 NFL Network HD

819 Showtime-HD

820 TMC-HD

821 Starz!-HD

822 Encore-HD

823 HBO-HD

824 Cinemax-HD

825 Spice-HD

Also, below is a link to an agenda for V's TV proposal to the city of Beaumont, Ca. For a complete list of channel offerings, please go to page 43 of the PDF file. HD listing starts on page 52.

Verizon TV proposal for Beaumont, CA

Here's the link for the original posting at Broadband Reports.
Original Posting at BroadbandReports.com

·
Registered
670 Posts
How can a provider carry these channels

A&E HD

MTV-HD

Spike-HD

when they don't even exist yet ? :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_fun85
How can a provider carry these channels

A&E HD

MTV-HD

Spike-HD

when they don't even exist yet ? :)
Maybe at some point they will exist! :D

·
Registered
699 Posts
I like how the channel numbers start at 800. Does this mean they've got 700-odd SD channels?

Hmm, they're missing ESPN2-HD.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
I like how the channel numbers start at 800. Does this mean they've got 700-odd SD channels?

Hmm, they're missing ESPN2-HD.
Check out the PDF file from the link... It lists the entire lineup.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
What I find even more interesting is the lack of

1) UPN and WB / Other locals in the numbering scheme between 805 and 809.

2) No ESPN2-HD etc - nor a numbering gap for them

3) With the available bandwidth, its really curious they did not put on EAST and WEST HD feeds of the movie channels from 819-824 - nor did they leave a hole for them in the numbering scheme.

I realize the .pdf says it could be modified prior to launch - but I find those omissions strange - especially as they have the available bandwidth.

It just seems there wasn't a lot of thought put into this numbering scheme.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This info was already posted months ago...you should do a search before you post...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melencio
Check out the PDF file from the link... It lists the entire lineup.
Having done that, my new question is: What's with all the duplicated channels?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I think that lineup was just a mock up for the presentation and is highly subject to change. I would not put any weight on it in that presented form.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT
I think that lineup was just a mock up for the presentation and is highly subject to change. I would not put any weight on it in that presented form.
But they proposed a LOT of channels that can't possibly be carried on that system? For example, there is no way a cable sytem in California is going to carry MSG Network and FSN Southwest.

Wonder what will happen if anyone who looks at the proposal figures that stuff out.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
am i the only one that fears spice-hd on a 100" screen and 5.1 surround sound.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy
This info was already posted months ago...you should do a search before you post...
I second that...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
am i the only one that fears spice-hd on a 100" screen and 5.1 surround sound.
FCC will force them to be like cable co's and show soft pron only. Only D* and E* get to show the real stuff.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Quote:
Verizon Fios TV Details

300 channels, DVR that can record 6 programs at once?

A participant of a recent Fios TV market group shares details of the service in this thread in our Fios forum: "The service will offer 300 channels with 18 sports channels, 3X the number of HD channels that Cablevision currently offers, 1,800 on-demand programs and all of the standard local channels." The user also makes the claim that Verizon will provide users with "a DVR box that can record up to SIX programs simultaneously and stream video from one room to another if you have multiple DVR boxes."
source: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/66682

wow, that's really nuts. 6 programs at once, fiber rules :D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I just found out that my county (Fairfax Va) is set to vote on the agreement with Verizon for video services on 9/26/05. I have had the fios internet service for several months now and love it. I hope this passes (most think it will) and I get this by the end of the year. Wahoo!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I also live in Fairfax County and for consumers this is a "no lose" proposition. Verizon will force Cox, which isn't too shabby in the HD department IMO, to work harder to keep its most affluent and technology-savvy customers. Either that, or Verizon will get my business.

·
Registered
318 Posts
BTW, if, like me, you are a geeky loser with a law degree, :rolleyes: here's the link to the Fairfax County page that has all the documents associated with the application. Lots of financial data. Clearly, Verizon wants Fairfax, bad.

Link

·
Registered
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two2
FCC will force them to be like cable co's and show soft pron only. Only D* and E* get to show the real stuff.
Offtopic, but why do the satellite companies get the free pass on the pr0n and the cable companies can only show crap?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Carlo
BTW, if, like me, you are a geeky loser with a law degree, :rolleyes: here's the link to the Fairfax County page that has all the documents associated with the application. Lots of financial data. Clearly, Verizon wants Fairfax, bad.

Link
Also of interest in the franchise agreement ...

There's a map of the county showing which areas are guaraunteed service within 3 years and which areas are guaraunteed service within 7 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.