AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know anythings about fios tv? I read the advertise in Verizon fios website it's does not say much about. They will provide high definition programs on fios. I wonder does it the bandwitd signal bettter than Directv or Cox that compressed all high def?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Don't get too caught in the hype. FIOS is rumored to have enough bandwidth for two HD channels using real-time MPEG-4 (reportedly ~12Mbps/ea.). Prerecorded is obviously better. That's not a lot of headroom for collision detection, etc., on the base pipe. Remember, it is still IP.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel
And this relates to HTPCs how?
Is'nt Verizn fios tv provide tv programs overinternet via fiber optic cable? Some how I think it can related to HTPC. :D

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Not "via the internet" in the typical sense, it's (I assume) IPTV, meaning it uses IP protocol to stream you channels/shows on demand, vs "normal" delivery that multicasts all channels simultaneously.

Of course to the user it works basically like normal TV.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Quote:
Not "via the internet" in the typical sense, it's (I assume) IPTV, meaning it uses IP protocol to stream you channels/shows on demand, vs "normal" delivery that multicasts all channels simultaneously.
Stanger, Tony knows that (I assume)...He's just struggling to make some sort of connection to HTPCs so that I won't move this thread to a more appropriate forum....;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry, Bob. It's my bad. :D

You can move this post to the appropriated place.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well....now what do you think of IPTV?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzellinger
Well....now what do you think of IPTV?
Looks awesome, but most M$ demos do. Real world experience however is usually a VASTLY different experience.

Micro$oft Windows - "All your media is belong to us"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.