AVS Forum banner
261 - 280 of 918 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had my KV34xbr800 fixed by a non-sony tech. He was from the Rapid Response Team from Tweeter (store where I bought my tv). My tv was manufactured in Oct 02. He logged into Sony's tech support web site from my house and downloaded the fix. The Sony Bulletin (not sure of the number) requires all tv's manufacutured between Oct - Dec 02 to replace the D board and to apply the HDPT fix. This has solved my white bar problem, and my picture looks great. Thanks to everyone who have posted this problem.

1 interesting fact, the D boards looked completely different. There was a hot sync on the board he removed and not one on the new board.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lavoiema,

I understand that you don't have the bulletin number that the serviceman allegedly accessed from your house. Could you provide his name/phone number and the event ID associated with his visit to your house? I very much want to verify that such a bulletin actually exists and share that information with the group.

Despite all the reports that Sony acknowledges this problem and has a recommended fix for it, I had not yet seen any tangible evidence to support this claim.

dp

·
Registered
15 Posts
>Could you provide his name/phone number and the event ID associated with his visit to your house? I very much want to verify that such a bulletin actually exists and share that information with the group.

The tech is coming back to my house this Wednesday afternoon. I'll see if I can get him to cough up details on the service bulletin, but it definitely exists. I looked at my work order but there is nothing that jumps out as a number or official title.

On another note, he is coming back to check on a problem that started after the fix was made. My set no longer displays 480p properly, it idoes not sync and the video is torn. I just noticed this when trying out a DVD after a long spell since the 1080i fix. You can also duplicate the problem with an HD200 by forcing the format to 480p. Those that have repaired sets might want to double check proper 480p display.

Jim

·
Registered
174 Posts
You said a Tweeter repair guy replaced your D board? Are you sure it was the D board- any way to confirm?

Just wondering because I got my set at Tweeter and so far have been working with Sony to fix the vertical bar issue. They have tried to replace my B board twice and it hasn't worked but once they said the replacement board was defective and once they said it hadn't been modified properly. I am currently on the waiting list for a new modified B board- last I heard late April ship date.

So my question is if the guy replaced your D or B board. because if it's the D board and I'm waiting on a B board that isn't the answer I'm going to be po'd with Sony.

If it truly is the D board then I'm going to try Tweeter. I bought close to $5K worth of stuff there at the end of the year so they better give me some satisfaction.

This whole thing has been a pain- I'm tired of companies producing and selling stuff that has major issues. If they are selling a widescreen HiDef monitor you'd at least thing they;d check out the 1080i picture for obvious defects.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been having a mild form of the vertical bar problem with my KD-34XBR2 and the SA4200HD box. The set was manufactured in February, 2002.

The Sony tech saw the problem and called the techs in San Diego and tried a service menu fix that included the HDPT setting and several others. It didn't work, so he'll come back (hopefully) after they do some research. Apparently this is perhaps the second time they have seen this and they don't have a definite hardware or software fix as they do with the 800.

Fortunately, the problem isn't severe, but it is there and I expect something close to perfection on a set like this. If anyone has successfully corrected the problem on the 34XBR2, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

- Bryan

·
Registered
65 Posts
So many people on this thread have claimed seeing a service bulletin about this problem, yet my requests for a service bulletin number (or event ID associated with this bulletin, or the name/number of a technican who can verify its existence) have gone unanswered for nearly a week.

I am renewing my request for some substantive evidence that Sony recognizes this problem. Any of you who have seen this bulletin or who have had repair work done, please post the relevant information - it will be of help to the entire community.

dp

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Sony tech just left my house. He said this was the second one that he has see with this problem in two days. He changed two variables in the service menu. The HTPT one everyone keeps taking about and MID1. The MID1 actually completely blanked out the display when he changed it. He told me that this is something the engineers are aware of currently working. He said he was going to pass on his findings to the engineers and get back to me when they have a fix.

Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a November 2002 34XBR800 with the vertical bar bug. I was told by one of the Sony Support managers that the production problem was fixed on 12/16. Not true. I just got a new replacement set manufactured in February 2003. Incredibly, it has the same problem. A Sony authorized tech is coming to the house on Friday. I will try to get the service bulletin ID.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It was/is definitely a problem in the 40xbr as well - mine had the problem but was fixed with the HDPT fix. Many others had the problem with the 40 as well.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had the problem on my 40 and it was fixable with the HDPT service menu fix. The easiest way for me to see it was to watch HD-NET on either a really dark concert scene or catch a black background during credits for a show. I did this after sunset with no other lights on in the room. It was very obvious then. In normal viewing, I could see it as a pulsing discoloration in some scenes, but getting a black background made it jump right out at you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I look for it by turning off all of the room lights at night, setting the picture mode to Vivid, setting the input to a 1080i source (Motorola 5100 cable box for me), then turn the power off on the source. Let your eyes adjust to the dark for a minute then look for a grey vertical bar that moves from right to left about once per second. I notice the "pulsing discoloration" in normal room lighting conditions but this is the best recipe I've found for seeing the distinct vertical bar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The easiest way that I've found to showcase this problem is to tune to a 1080i source (HD-NET), then tune to a station that you do not receive a signal for. This will give you a perfectly black screen and you can see the bar easily, without having to adjust your picture settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Service Bulletin Confirmation

I hang out in this forum a bit, but I built a new user ID for this post because I can't figure out how to post anonymously. This data comes from Sony's internal website. I doubt that they'd mind, but one never knows. I don't want to jeapordize the relationship I have with them.

There is a published Sony service bulletin about this problem.

In Sony parlance, it's called a CS3 Service Bulletin or Field Problem Report. The ID given above is correct, E18728143. If you're talking to a Sony employee, they can access it on the Sony Intranet at http://tchnt4.us.sel.sony.com/web/esi/servdocs.html . They will need to key in the model number. It will come up under the models KV32HS500, KV32HV600, KV34XBR800, KV36HS500, KV36XBR800 and KV40XBR800. The bulletin was last updated on 3/14/2003. It was submitted by ZKUA63 and the engineer's initials are DAS.

The problem description on the bulletin is as follows: "Vertical bar moving from right to left. The bar is about 4 to 5 inches wide and goes from right to left across the screen every second. This can most easily be seen in the standard or vivid picture mode. It's also more pronounced when brightness is increased. Happens with either DVI or component input."

The service bulletin is very detailed, with pictures of the "B" Board, a procedure for replacing the "B" board, a flowchart for "DVI Vertical Bar Countermeasure Implementation" and a list of components which should be mounted on the "B" Board. The service bulletin states:

- Some boards manufactured between 10/2002 and 12/2002 may not have these parts.

- Units with the correct parts just need service mode changes (specific changes will be mentioned below)

- boards without these parts should be replaced, adding the parts to the board should not be attempted.

- non-volatile memory (IC3089) should be moved from the old board to the new board during the replacement procedure

- There is also this note: "B Board A1300-327-A Use in models: KV-32HV600, KV-34XBR800, KV-36XBR800, and KV-40XBR800. B Board A-1300-327-A used in models: KV-32HS500, KV-36HS500" (Yes, those model numbers look very similar. This is not my typo, I checked very carefully. I don't know that it's correct, but I copied it letter-for-letter. )

Although there are about 20 differences between new and old "B" boards, the easiest (and recommended) way to identify a new board is to look for IC-3414 mounted under the shield-cover component side of the board. It's a 16-pin dual-inline SMT IC located in the center of the board vertically, toward the right side horizontally. You can find it on the PCB layout in the service manual on page 258, quadrant D-10. This chip should be labelled M52055FP. On faulty boards, it won't be mounted.

For sets that have the correct components on their "B" board, they need to implement the "DVI Vertical Bar Countermeasures." It's difficult to represent a flowchart in these posts, but here's a go:

1. Select RF input and enter service mode. Change "OP HDPT" to 0. VERY IMPORTANT THAT RF INPUT IS SELECTED BEFORE THIS CHANGE IS MADE. Write data. Go to step 2.

2. Select a 1080i DVI input. Is the vertical bar visible? If yes, go to 3. If no, go to 4.

3. Countermeasure circuitry not mounted or applied incorrectly. Check/add the missing parts listed on the service bulletin or replace the "B" Board. Go to step 2.

4. Is a 1080i DVI source available? If yes, go to step 5 . If no, go to step 9.

5. Select DVI 1080i output on the source. Select Video 7 input on the set. go to step 6.

6. Enter service mode, then choose "vivid mode" in the user menu. Modify the following data: 2170P_3 SHOF=2, 2170P_3 F1LV=2, 2170P_1 CBOF=38, 2170P_1 CROF=38. Write the data. Go to step 7.

7. Choose "standard mode" in the user menu, then modify the following data: 2170P_3 SHOF=3, 2170P_3 F1LV=3. Write the data. Go to step 8.

8. Choose "movie mode" in the user menu, then modify the following data: 2170P_3 F1LV=1. Go to step 14.

9. Connect a component 1080i video source to video 5. Select video 5 input on the set. Go to step 10.

10. Enter service mode, then choose "vivid mode" in the user menu. Modify the following data: 2170P_3 SHOF=2, 2170P_3 F1LV=2, 2170P_1 CBOF=37, 2170P_1 CROF=37. Write the data. Go to step 11.

11. Choose "standard mode" in the user menu, then modify the following data: 2170P_3 SHOF=3, 2170P_3 F1LV=3. Write the data. Go to step 12.

12. Choose "movie mode" in the user menu, then modify the following data: 2170P_3 F1LV=1. Go to step 13.

13. While viewing the 1080i signal in any picture mode, confirm that the following data is correct: CXA2151 YGN=7. CXA2151 CBGN=8, CXA2151 CRGN=8. Go to step 15.

14. Is there a 1080i component source available? If yes, go to step 9. If no, go to step 13.

15. Countermeasure implementation complete.

Hope this helps. If so, tell me your name is also John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for taking the time for that detailed post. Curious that the KD-34XBR2 is not included, though I believe the KV-34XBR800 is similar with DVI and without the HDTV tuner. I fear those of us with that model may be left out on a limb. It has been less than a week since the technician looked at my TV, so I'll be patient.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My tech, way back in December, did only the HDPT change. All is fine; the verticle bar is gone and I have no complaint at all, but I wonder what all the other myriad changes are for. Has anyone any idea what these codes refer to? Has anyone out there had the entire range of changes made. At the time, the tech said words to the effect that if the problem was the verticle bar and the HDPT fix removed that verticle bar, why risk messing something up by making unnecessary changes. So, if anyone out there has any idea what these codes refer to, please let me know so that I can think about "completing" the fix.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by cajieboy
max99, I've yet to see this vertical line when viewing 1080i. Is there a way to check and make certain there isn't a problem?

WPl1977 had the easiest way - go from a 1080i broadcast to a channel with no signal (I always went from HDNet 199 to channel 50). The line is obvious on the blank screen.

261 - 280 of 918 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.