AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed this, it's a really faint bar rolling from right to left on my HDMI fed WD HD TV player. I have dish network hooked up and I run it through component (older Sony CRT with only one HDMI input) and it has a clean picture. Although when watching darker scenes I can notice the bar rolling and did some research and http://www.cabletronix.com/support/trouble.asp it says that it's because of AC power affecting the line and to use a line breaker. I've tried unplugging my wii, stereo system, cable box, etc. and the bar remains. I have a power strip coming out of the wall outlet where everything but my dish receiver is plugged in to, the dish receiver is plugged in to the other socket on the outlet. What should be my steps in remedying this? Note: I've tried a diff. HDMI cable too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1264 /forum/post/19508566

Just noticed this, it's a really faint bar rolling from right to left on my HDMI fed WD HD TV player. I have dish network hooked up and I run it through component (older Sony CRT with only one HDMI input) and it has a clean picture. Although when watching darker scenes I can notice the bar rolling and did some research and http://www.cabletronix.com/support/trouble.asp it says that it's because of AC power affecting the line and to use a line breaker. I've tried unplugging my wii, stereo system, cable box, etc. and the bar remains. I have a power strip coming out of the wall outlet where everything but my dish receiver is plugged in to, the dish receiver is plugged in to the other socket on the outlet. What should be my steps in remedying this? Note: I've tried a diff. HDMI cable too.

Thanks!

Sony CRTs, especially early ones, have an infamous scrolling vertical bar problem with 1080i inputs, especially on DVI/HDMI. What is your model number? Does it go away for 720p inputs?

Here's the thread, Vertical bar on Sonys when viewing 1080i .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm no stranger to forum protocol and I know when I am asking attention whoring redundant questions, but sometimes that's what it takes to get quick results!

Thanks for the feedback though.

The model number is KD-34XBR970, serial 4023000.

Bought in '06 so it's a fairly aged model. I guess the 1080 description could explain how I don't notice this on my component connected dishnetwork receiver? But I've used the HDMI cable for the dish receiver before and never noticed a scrolling bar....

I can manually adjust the output to whatever resolution and hertz in my WD HD TV player, should I do manual 720p, 60Hz?

The thing is I can swear that there are some movies I've never noticed this on, while others it seems more prevalent. I am guessing this is only due to the colors/lighting variation.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1264 /forum/post/19509019

I'm no stranger to forum protocol and I know when I am asking attention whoring redundant questions, but sometimes that's what it takes to get quick results!

Thanks for the feedback though.

The model number is KD-34XBR970, serial 4023000.

Bought in '06 so it's a fairly aged model. I guess the 1080 description could explain how I don't notice this on my component connected dishnetwork receiver? But I've used the HDMI cable for the dish receiver before and never noticed a scrolling bar....

I can manually adjust the output to whatever resolution and hertz in my WD HD TV player, should I do manual 720p, 60Hz?

The thing is I can swear that there are some movies I've never noticed this on, while others it seems more prevalent. I am guessing this is only due to the colors/lighting variation.

The 970 is actually the newest and the last of the Sony crt models and since it was marketed well after Sony recognized that a problem existed, the assumption has been that the root of the problem had been solved. I haven't really heard of the scrolling vertical bar being reported as a problem on the 970. If it goes away with 720p its a pretty good bet that it's the same problem as earlier sets. My HS510 exhibited the 1080i scrolling bar on its DVI input. While it was likely present on component, it was not apparent.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/19508834

ground loop. use the search function, discussed ad nauseum.

Doesn't sound like a ground loop. A hum bar rolls from bottom to top at a 0.6hz rate, not left to right. Also he mentioned this is an HDMI connection. You will never see a hum bar on HDMI no matter how bad a ground loop you have. What will happen is teh picture will just drop out once the induced AC voltage is high enough to cross the data low/high threshold. IOW, total data corruption.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To describe the bar the best I can I would say it's a faint two inches wide that's slightly lightens and scrolls right to left, never more than one bar on the screen at the same time.

I don't know if you know anything about the WD HD TV media player but it's the only device I see this happen on, my wii and tv look fine otherwise. Could it be a problem in the tv's input?? Problem with the media player?

I used to think I could only see it on the menu screens in the media player and that it disappeared while playing a file but this isn't the case.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I find I like a horizontal bar myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting Update.

Somehow my picture mode had been set to vibrant, and I never keep it on vibrant. So the scene should have been twice as dark, as vibrant makes everything way too bright, so of course it highlights things. When I set to any other mode the bar becomes invisible; this is the only reason I can think of why I would just now notice it. So the bar is definitely there but is only noticeable in vibrant picture mode. You think this has anything to do in how vibrant is executed or do you think this is a technical issue associated with the player that is only noticeable when colors are ridiculously brightened?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so now that it's dark I can see the dreaded ghostbar again. Turns out when I manually do the output on the WD HD TV player to 720p the bar disappears. I've had my dishnetwork receiver plugged in via HDMI and have never noticed any ghostbars. You think it could a combination of the wd player and my tv that brings out this supposedly fixed ghostbar?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1264
To describe the bar the best I can I would say it's a faint two inches wide that's slightly lightens and scrolls right to left, never more than one bar on the screen at the same time.....
The bar on my HS510 was faint and about 2 inches wide with a pinkish tint and continuously scrolled across the tube with a period of maybe 3 or 4 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1264
....Turns out when I manually do the output on the WD HD TV player to 720p the bar disappears....
This has always been considered a clear indicator that the set is suffering the vertical scrolling bar of my previously linked thread.

The issue is associated with internal synchronization of the 1080i signal. The mitigation developed by Sony was to re-route the 1080i signal around the MID video processor by changing a service menu parameter named HDPT (HD passthrough). When I implemented this "mitigation" on my HS510, I found the picture quality noticably changed. It didn't have the same Sony "pop" but along with a few other recommended service menu parameter changes still resulted in a very good, scrolling barless, picture.

The other option would be to have your source output at 720p. The MID converts 720p to 1080i for display and does not result in the vertical scrolling bar.

IMO, Sony did not handle this situation adequately. They made no recall, had no hardware fix available and only released a service bulletin covering the problem. In addition, Sony allowed this design flaw to ripple through many models of its HD CRTS without fixing it. I don't buy Sony anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man I used to harp my friends over how I thought my crt looked better than their lcds because of the lack of horizontal pixel lines. I must never let them know about this! lol

even though it's manually outputting 720p the MID is converting the picture to 1080?

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1264 /forum/post/19513900

even though it's manually outputting 720p the MID is converting the picture to 1080?

Although, generically speaking, a CRT can handle a variety of resolutions & scan-rates natively, unlike a fixed-pixel display (remember CRT computer monitors), in practice most CRT HDTVs scale all inputs to a preferred resolution (or one of the two, 1080i or 480p). I'd say, if you can get into the service manual, do the HD Pass-Through thing, & output 1080i from the media player.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie /forum/post/19509146

Doesn't sound like a ground loop. A hum bar rolls from bottom to top at a 0.6hz rate, not left to right. Also he mentioned this is an HDMI connection. You will never see a hum bar on HDMI no matter how bad a ground loop you have. What will happen is teh picture will just drop out once the induced AC voltage is high enough to cross the data low/high threshold. IOW, total data corruption.

I didn't actually bother to read the thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is someone else' opinion about what's going on... I'll try and post pics later.

"I seem to recall past discussions concerning various input components having differing 1080i scrolling bar results. Since the problem appears to be associated with the synchronization (timing) of the input signal to the internal processor timing, it may just be that some video input components are more closely matched to the tv than others, may result in differing results."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts