AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you Dila gurus out there its been a while sense I've had a Dila so I'm kind of out of touch as far as being familiar with related defect issues .

I just bought a g15 for myself and I'm sorry to say it has vertical jail bars on every input including HDTV. These are spaced very close together. They are causing scaling artifacts and adjusting the pixel clock does nothing to clear this up.

I remember something about this being a defect.

Any input would be appreciated.

Even a dealer can get a lemon once in a while http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
707 Posts
The projector most likely needs to have the individual eight-bar adjustment (DDIC) to eliminate this problem. If you look at a full field Red, Green, Blue field you will be able to identify which of the panels are misadjusted. Most of the projectors benefit from this adjustment which will give a very filmlike appearance when properly calibrated.

In some cases the gamma offset needs to be tweaked to give optimum results.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Alan,

I know that you're a busy guy, but you have the eight-bar adjustment wrench and a license to use it right there on your nearest computer.

Run the Dilard Eight-Bar Wizard, and just "point" (with your mouse cursor) at the offending bar. If it is too bright use CTRL-DOWN ARROW and SHIFT-DOWN ARROW to dim it. If it is too dark, use the UP arrow instead to lighten it. Repeat for any other bars you wish. Point and 'shoot'.

The goal is to have completely smooth flat fields on both the top and bottom of the test pattern. Once you are done, your "jail bars" will be gone.

One tip: Try to keep the adjustments fairly balanced. Instead of adjusting one up, and then another up, and then another up, etc., split the adjustments between up and down.

The controls are very subtle, so you can really nail it with a little patience. In other words, you won't need to settle for "pretty good" on these. The controls are fine enough that you can get it really smooth.

This might be a good opportunity to train someone on your staff how to tweak one of these http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

·
Registered
111 Posts
Alan,

Just a point of interest;

I remember reading a post recently where you guys did a power buy that included some fancy aftermarket calibration. I think it was by someone in NY. Did you have those guys do the calibration on your machine? If they did do the calibration, seems like you should send it back.

If I remember correctly, everyone was very impressed by the calibrated units.

Thanks,

------------------

Jim Lauritzen

[This message has been edited by Jim Lauritzen (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Alan, if there was ever a soul who could get a "lemon" replaced post haste, it would have to be you.

If you hadn't have mentioned "on every input", I'd swear it was tracking. I can replicate your very scenario with my G11 by having the tracking misadjusted, but on HDTV......?

I went through the Dilard 8 Bar Wizard on my G11 bought from AVS and to my surprise found little to no changes necessary.

ghiblis, would incorrect gamma offset really cause the vertical bars Alan is seeing?

Chris

·
Registered
707 Posts
The gamma calibration is not the cause of the vertcal bars which Alan is viewing. As described previously it is is a misadjustment of the eight-bar calibration. This projector was purchased used and has not had the benefit of a calibration. Most of the projectors out of the box will benefit from this adjustment as they are all off by a certain degree.

Gamma offset interacts with the DDIC eight bar adjustment and it can definitely have an effect on this particular problem.

[This message has been edited by ghibliss (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was a B stock from JVC.

Id like to meet the guy who was sleeping or I mean signed off on this one and give him a few choice words *%$#@

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

[This message has been edited by Alan Gouger (edited 06-22-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.