AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used an ATI Radeon7200 but I'm switching to an ATI Rage128 I have lying around because the latter doesn't have a fan and still plays back videos smoothly. I've experienced the same problem on both:

With Overlay Mixer, or Windows default, DVD and video playback is stretched vertically to double the normal size, showing only the top half and cropping off the bottom half. This problem only occurs with interlaced resolutions (i.e. 1080i), but does NOT occur with progressive resolutions (i.e. 540p).

Surely, I'm not the only one to encounter this problem, right? Please help! I'm finding this extremely frustrating! At the moment, I switch to 848x480 to watch videos, but that's not a satisfactory solution for HDTV resolution videos!

I've found some partial workarounds. Turning hardware acceleration off makes PowerDVD and mplayer work without the vertical stretching--but with unacceptably choppy frame rates. Windows Media Player and Zoom Player don't function correctly with hardware acceleration turned off. I once managed to get Zoom Player to work with VMR9, but then my hard drive crashed and since then I haven't been able to get VMR9 to work at all with my ATI Rage128.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You've run into the infamous "half height overlay bug". Try upgrading to Catalyst 4.1 and it should work, ATi finally fixed the problem. Catalyst 3.4 should also work. All other Catalyst drivers are broken in this regard.

Do a search here for "half height overlay bug" or simply "overlay bug" and you'll find tons of discussion regarding this issue.

Nice example, BTW.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, and the compliment on my example image!

I have been trying to get the latest ATI website drivers working, but so far I've been working just with the ATI Rage128. I think they just never bothered fixing the bug on the non-Radeon cards.

Anyway, when I get in my new power supply in the mail and put together my new computer, it will be with the Radeon7200 so Catalyst will work just fine. Thanks for the help! When the power supply comes in, I'll post how things go!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.