AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last, i found the time to finish this Superbit review that i started several weeks ago. The review is up on my site (signature). As always with my reviews, this is a purely technical analysis. Arguments on the movie itself can be found in several threads already.

Also in the pipeline are reviews of

- The Patriot Superbit vs. Original

- Starship Troopers Special Edition vs. Original

- Memento Special Edition vs. Original

I will try to finish the first 2 later tonight...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, hob! Illuminating is a funny desciption :)

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
remarquable comparisons Bjoen! especially the macroblocking stuff from low bitrate, high filtering. it should convinced the unconvinceable :D

and no guys, you do NOT need a large screen to enjoy superbit, though you might need a good player with good video frequency response for instance.

Btw Bjoern, have you completely abandonned the idea of doing some audio comparisons between dvd and laserdisc ( whatever the format, dd, dts, ds PCM ) ?

cheers

:)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
After viewing this film on HBO in High Definition, DVD just won't cut it for me. I am growing increasingly spoiled by the resolution of HD. :( Wait, that deseres a :)

:D

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
naughty Matt :D

but let's see it this way: maybe ( big maybe ! ) the D-THEATER will push studios to agree on HD DVD in limited quantity in 2003 or 2004 in co-existance together with dvd without killings the egg in the chicken :D

co-existance was easier and less "interfering" with laserdisc and vhs though....

somehow, a 1080p digital laserdisc with PCM 6.2 96khz still sounds so much appealing :D (at 1080p native, we just need a player, not an HTPC or scaler )

but the economy and the studios and the digital cinema don't like it...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David600
(at 1080p native, we just need a player, not an HTPC or scaler )
Not to mention a display device that can resolve 1080p...

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Didn't care much for this movie, already have the Patriot SB...am awaiting your review of Satship troopers vs the original transfer...I have had a glimpse of this new transfer, and I believe it does look somewhat better, but your review will seal the deal as to weather I rebuy or not.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I think the ST SE release uses the same hi-def transfer. Chapters 27 and 28 are flagged/encoded as video. Didn't the first release have the same error?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Larry:

I noticed the combing in the last 2 chapters as well in the SE, but if my memory serves correct (which it may not) I don't think the original had this problem. Kinda sucks for a SE to have the wrong flags, especially since the SE looks pretty darn good.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Thanks again for doing yet another EXCELLENT job with your video analysis....

Based on your review of The Patriot, I think I'm going to add the Superbit version to my collection.... :)

Great work!

Peace.....

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
KennyG:

Quote:
but your review will seal the deal as to weather I rebuy or not.
So, how is the weather in “within the unlimited boundries of my imagination�:D:D

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
David,

Quote:
Btw Bjoern, have you completely abandonned the idea of doing some audio comparisons between dvd and laserdisc ( whatever the format, dd, dts, ds PCM ) ?
No, not abandonned, just not too high on my list, this is. So many things, there are. So little time, there is. :)

Kenny,

Quote:
...am awaiting your review of Satship troopers vs the original transfer...I have had a glimpse of this new transfer, and I believe it does look somewhat better, but your review will seal the deal as to weather I rebuy or not.
Thats quite a burden on me, there :p Sorry that the review is still not up... I will also review the new Memento SE against the old, same for the new Traffic SE that i got yesterday.... Now, if i could only find the time to finish the reviews.

Li On,

Quote:
Enjoy your usual great review and bought the DVD few days ago. Indeed, wonderful picture quality which looks much better than the normal edition.

Btw, could you please list the timing of the Scene 4 in your review so I can look for it on my screen too? Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoy the new disc.

The scene you refer to, is one of the first few frames in chapter 9 at 37:00.

Regards

Bjoern

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.