AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a line down the right side of the image, being fed from a S350 via HDMI set to 1080p to my 6500UB

this is a SD DVD you can see the line faintly

I turn off the the dvd player and it is gone:

on the default splash screen it is not there either

Then I play the BD demo disc that came with my PS3 and BAM!

Now, I will note one thing. When I first start the demo disc and go to videos and play the first chapter, welcome to BD or explore BD, I dont recall the exact wording but it is the very first choice under the demo videos, the green line is not there. As soon as you go to chapter 2 the line shows up. I rule out the disc because it was there on my standard DVD too.

- I tried 2 different 6 foot HDMI cables and both HDMI inputs.

- I connected it via component at 1080 i and I did not see the line

- I found some things talking about this being because of upscaling, so I tried hard setting the player to 1080i as well as auto, but both times the green line is still there via HDMI.

- There was another suggestion I found that said to bring the image in 2 pixels or something like that, but that just doesnt sound right.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this with their 6500UB. I have a feeling it is not the projector though. I may try some normal HD content via Dish but that will require some configuring on the kitchen counter...

Any thoughts? Otherwise my initial projector experience is wonderful, now to only finish the theater.

Also, in testing a solution for this, is it bad to be turning the projector on and off to test various things, or should I wait for a few suggestions test those and then shut the projector down again for a little while? I have heard the on/off effect with a projector is much different than that of a normal TV.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Does the 6500 show you the actual input frequency?

eg 1080p60 or 1080p24? I know that on the PS3, a lot of the FBI warnings are in 1080i60 but the PS3 will switch to 1080p24 when the movie proper starts.

The reason I ask is that it could be that the green line is only when you use 1080p24, but not at 1080p60, for instance.

Most of the time, the projector should do an "auto" adjust of the image that is being projected, but if it is not doing it right, there should be an "image" position adjustment that allows you to shift (in your case) the image slightly to the left and you can shift the green line out of the displayed image.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The problem is the source signal, I had the exact same problem on my system. I have an HDMI cable from the cable box to my projector and component connections from my DVD through the AV receiver.

On my Epson 1080ub pro, I went into the menu for Image and under Output Scaling, I adjusted the setting from 100% to 98% and the green vertical bar disappeared. Hope this helps you as well.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, so would you say this is a normal thing? The only reason I ask is that I have not seen many people mention it, or is that because it is common and everyone already knows to make this correction. Will that effect the image at all, scaling to 98% instead of 100?

I will have to mock up my setup again in the kitchen to test that out. While I will not get to use the projector immediately, I still want to go through all the motions of trying to test it to confirm I have no major issues.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
My guess is the player is the problem. I say that only because I had the exact same line with a Comcast HD cable box. They had to give me a different model cable box to make it go away, citing an incompatibilty issue with my gear for lack of a better explanation. I use a Sony VW-60 / Pioneer TXH95 receiver all via HDMI.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, I will have to test with my PS3 then as well, if the S350 is the issue I may have to try and swap it out. Wonder then if it will be a model issue or just the player in general. Got the S350 black friday for the very nice low price from sony style online. I hope the warranty is 90 days and not 30...

off to test.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it appears the issue is with the output scaling on the projector. For some reason when some of the content is playing I guess it scales fine but others do not.

My real question is, what is output scaling? Is it bad to set it to 98%? 100% has the line, auto still displays the line, however, 98% is good. Now to figure out what this actually means. As a noob with projectors and higher end equipment I still have a bit to learn, so any input is helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Personally would avoid the "scaling" feature on the projector. I believe that is basically masking off some part of the original input signal effectively not giving you a 1:1 mapping from the original source.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so I guess that means it is either the source or the projector. I will test another source tomorrow. Dish HD STB, I can pull and HD signal off air so i will test it with some football tomorrow afternoon. there is no SAT line at my temporary location of testing, so I cant test it with hockey right now. I will also test with my PS3 tomorrow then. It is crazy that nobody else speaks of this as an issue, ever, at least that I have seen, so I need to track this one down. I will also test the S350 hooked to my Panny 50 inch and see if it causes the same issue there.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, so far, I can conclude that the vetical line is not present when I connect the Sony S350 to my 720p 50" Panny, so the next test will be the PS3 on the projector as well as a HD TV signal. So I dont know right now, it could be the projector...?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

I don't have the Epson but I have had a number of LCD and LCOS projectors and they all have an image position adjustment. You should be able to nudge the picture to the left and lose the green line.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will have to look for that too. See if shifting the image fixes it, but the strange thing is that for some content off the demo HD disc the green line is not there, but then for others it is. It makes little sense to me as to what could be causing this. If it was the player, would it not also cause for the green line on my 50 720p panny? I will know more hopefully tomorrow. today was a bit busy, so I was unable to test with my PS3 as I had planned.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I learned in the manual that because I am using HDMI input that I cannot shift the image position as suggested. I tested for an hour last night with my S350 and PS3 but nothing made the vertical line go away. At one point it was actually blue while watching the SD version of behind enemy lines. With the stuck pixel I have I am hoping for replacement, and with that, I am hoping my issue is in fact the projector and that when my new projector arrives, it comes with no vertical green line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts