AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rather small room, a big pj (BG1209/2) and do not want to mount the pj in the ceiling. So I was thinking that maybe one can mount the pj vertically, standing on its tail at the back of the room, projecting uppwards, and having a mirror to deflect the image towards the screen. Is it possible to do this? What kind of problems can I expect?

( This thread discusses the same topic, but the subject was a bit off, so I started another thread.)

/Olof

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have seen this done in magazine articles and I believe that one of the members here has done it as well.

The only "unusual" stress would probably be on the mounting bolts/threads themselves.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Olof,

The 1209/2 generates a lot of heat, about 600 watts.

When you mount the PC vertical with the lenses upward, you will be drawing the hot air in from top end and out the bottom end, against the 'natural' flow. I don't know if this means that the fan's can't do their job properly.

The picture posted earlier is about a BG 800 hanging vertical. With these projectors the airflow is the other way around from a 1209, and it is not affected when hanging vertical.

reversing the fan's is not an option, because the tubes will become too hot that way.

Either the ceiling or a low table is an option with these projectors.

Reinier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ R.Bauer

Are you saying that it definitely will not work, or thar it probably will not work or thar it might not work?

If I try this out, how will I see if the heating is a problem?

What risk do I take if I simply try this?

Can the heat start a fire, or will it just gradually make the convergence to drift, or do I "just" shorten the lifetime of my PJ?

/Olof

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I do not think that the vertical, floor mounted projector would be stressed by heat any more than if ceiling mounted.

I think the fans should be able to pull plenty of air through the case and the temperature of the air they pull into the the case from near the floor will be cooler than the air temperature would be near the ceiling. (in most rooms, there is a fair difference) That should help with the cooling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.