AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bumped this up from an older thread...

I have a question regarding correcting vertical overscan on the 34 Sony. I have an HS510, it has some vertical overscan issues. Using Avia and an Toshiba progressive player on 480p (Input 6 using component), the set appears to have about 8-9% vertical overscan. When I adjust the vertical size using either the VSIZ or the Mid1 / Mid2 methods that are in other threads, I then affect the quality of the very bottom of the image in 1080i (Pace STB, Input 5 on component). At the very bottom part of the image in 1080i, there is what looks like an "optical distortion." For instance, if you reduce the vertical size and raise the image, so that the bottom edge of the image is above the bottom edge of the screen, vertical lines are distorted so that they start from an angle from the left and curve upwards. This effect is present all across the bottom of the image, the lines curve in the same direction. If I follow what some people recommend to minimize overscan and increase the vertical size until it is just outside the viewing area, then, then I see this distortion effect on my 1080i HD signal. The only way I can eliminate it is to increase the vertical size more, so that this distorted area is outside the field of view. But when I do this, I have created the 8-9% vertical overscan condition.

Has anyone else seen this characteristic when working on the overscan?

One other issue I have seen but have not read about in the threads is that my 480p signal seems to be different when my TV is in service mode. In other words, when I view a test pattern in the SM, make a correction, save it, then look at the same image in regular viewing mode, the image seems to have shifted. So, I make a change, exit it to view, then have to go back in to make adjustments, then back out, etc... Very time consuming...

Thanks for your input, I really enjoy reading about the experiences here.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Thats typical of many large screen models, they set the overscan high at the factory to cover up those geometry errors common to larger flat screen CRTs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea what type of geometry problem you call a distortion only at the bottom of the screen that distorts lines straight lines into a "J" ? Not exactly a pincushion, one of the archived threads had pics of bad geometries, but mine does not exactly match any there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.