AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a home theater with a 9' diagonal (probably) 16x9 screen (about a 53" screen height). There will be two rows of seats, with a one foot riser for the second row. The ceilings in the room are 9' high (the rest of the room is 30' long by 16' high).

I am wondering how high to place the screen on the wall?

What is considered the optimal vertical % of the screen for one's eyes to be at. How off that can one go (the point being I might go a little low on the front row to make the back row less off)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I too had the same question, but it was never answered. After days of research, I came across a link that suggested placing the screen's center point 30* from the viewing point. Good luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Borak
I too had the same question, but it was never answered. After days of research, I came across a link that suggested placing the screen's center point 30* from the viewing point. Good luck!
So, if I draw a line from my eyes to the screen on a straight horizontal, and another from my eyes to the center, that should be 30*? Is that right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jmc311
Isn't the general rule of thumb that your eye level should be 1/3 the way up the screen?

John
I don't know, but I'd like to!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dimensions of your screen:

16:9 aspect ratio

94.1302" X 52.9482" (108" diagonal)

Since you are 144" from your screen and assuming that the horizontal viewing point is 41" from the floor, a 30* target to the center of the screen would mean that the bottom of the screen would have to be 97.6639" from the floor. The 30* target lands at 124.1384", measuring from the floor to the center of the screen. As a result, your ceiling would have to be 13' high at a minimum.

Rule of thumb: 1/3

The bottom of your screen would be 23.3506" from the floor. This seems really low to me, but I haven't been told otherwise. Thus, the viewing angle to the center of the screen is only 3.5*.

Both examples appear to be pretty extreme in each direction. Maybe there's a better answer out there. We encourage your replies.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Borak
Dimensions of your screen:

16:9 aspect ratio

94.1302" X 52.9482" (108" diagonal)

Since you are 144" from your screen and assuming that the horizontal viewing point is 41" from the floor, a 30* target to the center of the screen would mean that the bottom of the screen would have to be 97.6639" from the floor. The 30* target lands at 124.1384", measuring from the floor to the center of the screen. As a result, your ceiling would have to be 13' high at a minimum.

Rule of thumb: 1/3

The bottom of your screen would be 23.3506" from the floor. This seems really low to me, but I haven't been told otherwise. Thus, the viewing angle to the center of the screen is only 10*.

Both examples appear to be pretty extreme in each direction. Maybe there's a better answer out there. We encourage your replies.

You're right, 30* is insane. It's actually a hard angle to achieve to the top of the screen!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been assuming that the 30* angle begins at eye level on the horizontal, but maybe it's from the floor. I'm not sure where I researched this technique, but maybe I misinterpreted the explanation. If so, the bottom of your screen would measure 56.6643" from the floor; thus, your viewing angle on the horizontal calculates 16*. This seems much more appropriate, in my opinion. We can now conclude that, at a minimum, the ceiling height should be 9.13' so I think you can squeeze it in.

I'm still a newb, so for now, I would recommend seeking more opinions. It's a good thing we have this forum.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Here is the rule of thumb that I remember hearing:

"The viewers' eyeballs should be within the bottom 1/3 of the screen."

To be more precise....I suppose you could say that the viewer's eyeballs should be at 1/6 the screen height.

Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand that. How does 1/3 of the bottom of the screen convert to 1/6 the screen height?

If it does, thegratingone would place the bottom of his screen 32.1753" from the floor, positioning the center of the screen at 7* from eye level.

I still think that this is more reasonable:
Quote:
I've been assuming that the 30* angle begins at eye level on the horizontal, but maybe it's from the floor. I'm not sure where I researched this technique, but maybe I misinterpreted the explanation. If so, the bottom of your screen would measure 56.6643" from the floor; thus, your viewing angle on the horizontal calculates 16*. This seems much more appropriate, in my opinion. We can now conclude that, at a minimum, the ceiling height should be 9.13' so I think you can squeeze it in.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you mean 1/3 of the bottom half? If so, then I understand how that converts to 1/6 the screens total height.

That's actually not a bad idea. If 1/3 the bottom half is the rule of thumb, I think it would be the best formula to follow. I think I'll use this method. Good luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Uther
1/6 (or 1/3 of the bottom half...ok :D) seems awfully high. Beware of neck strain and the IMAX effect.
What's the IMAX effect?

So, what do you think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
From what I have seen, the most common recommendation seems to be 1/3 of the screen height.

IMAX effect = arching neck and headache from laying with your head bent back to watch the screen ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
1/3 = 3.5* to center screen from eye level.

1/6 = 7* to center of screen from eye level.

That's not much of a difference in head tilt. At the very most, I think your eyes will adjust more than your neck so I don't think this would create an IMAX effect.

If you go to a theater, the prime seating is direct center of the theater: the audio sweet spot. In that arrangement, isn't the screen slightly raised? I thought it was ideal to mimic the theater setup. Personally, I'd prefer to have my screen 32" from the floor instead of 23", but I also want it to be a TRUE theater. If you're sure that 1/3 the total height is the definite measurement then I'll go with it. Most home setups and screen shots that I've seen on this forum appear to be higher than 3.5*.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
In reality, I think it all comes down to personal preference. The 1/3 thing is just what I have seen quoted most often.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
hi guys

interesting topic.

I think my preference would go to an hybrid of IMAX and curved 2.35:1 screen: I explain.

screen: 2.35:1 constant height thus, microperforated, slightly curved (alu frame). 4meters wide is good. some gain. the screen starts at perhaps 85cm from the ground (sub above subwoofers). just guessing measures here.

projector: dlp with anamorphic lens

seats: first row is raised (people prefer!), not on floor level. 3-4 rows, 50cm level difference, thus quite high. or even 50cm. requires high ceilings (3meters or more).

the raiser would be in wood to transmit subsonic bass and perhaps include clark synthesis (only for sub- 20hz FQ).

ceiling: optic fiber black stars

speakers: in wall (baffle wall), subwoofers on the floor, next to each others. in wall also if possible (you gain a lot of SPL pressure!).

this is a nice combination imho of wide scope, imax, non claustrophobic (ceiling stars) combo.

capacity: 15-21 seats.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.