AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing the fans on the PJ, suddenly it stopped working.

No sound, no Image, just a very acute sound coming probably from power supply.

The only thing alive on the projector is a red led near the blue lent, between power supply and that lent.

Please help.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Disconnect the fans as a test- maybe you wired one backwards and it is loading the power supply down?

Can you better describe the sound??

--Kieth

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lens are out, the fans are out, and the sound remains.

If I disconnect a small board above the power supply in the middle of green and red lens, then the sound will go off.

This small board have two small wire bobbins and a small blue component with four connectors. (sorry for my description but my degree is on computer science, not electronics)

The sound is not loud, it is high pitched whine as in very high frequency.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
jvm,

It's probably time to change the capacitors in the power supply. At the age of those machines, this is a common failure. It's a pain to get the boards out, but it's doable. My own 1030 is making similar sounds intermittently and I have to do the same service. A long shot might be to test the horizontal out transistor and all the fuses, but the filter capacitors on pretty much all these units are at the end of their life. We will see more 10xx units die in the near future. In the long run, re-capping is the only solution. Excessive ripple from the power supply will cause other failures if not corrected. On a final note, look at all the boards and see if you can spot any cracked solder connections. Even if you find any or hit the projector and it starts working again, I highly recomend you change the capacitors anyway.

Marc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

I already have the capacitors c631,c632, c206,c205 to change.

According to jnme03901 in thread "Sony 1031 help..." he also changed transistor 2sd905 on the rear right left hand side of the projector because it was open circuit.

Well, mine was also open circuit until I saw on off its legs a litle bend over. When I set it right, sudennly it was not open cicuit anymore...

My problem is that those transistors are very hard to find here in Portugal...

Do you this it is really necessary to change it? Or just the capacitors will be enough...

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jose:

I blew a 2SD905 in my 1030q1 and found that this transistor was very expensive and hard to get, so I looked for an equivalent and found one that in fact is much better: Faster, more powerful, rugged and a lot cheaper: BU208A

I have less bending of the picture when I overscan (34-35 KHz) with this new transistor.

Oh , by the way it was the horiz. conv. transistor I substituted..

Koldby

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The transistor you say is the one located in the rear right hand side? like it show on the picture or is the one more closer to the lens?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jose,

The one I changed was the one closest to the lenses, not the one closest to the backside. There is typed on top of it "HORZ. CONVERGENS" in the metal plate it is fastned to.

But the BU208A is a valid substitution no matter where it is placed ;-)

They are so cheap so you could easily change both!

Koldby

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
Does anybody have a good [ reliable ] supplier for the caps [ in the USA ] ?

Could you list the Vendor and that Vendors Part #'s - Thank You !

-- I don't need any of them yet but I would like to get the full set and replace them just to avoid the issue down the road .

--- Thanks ,

--- Jason

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
These component replacements/upgrades should be put on the web with pics! :D ;) :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe I know what sound you are talking about. My 1031 makes that high pitched sound when I cut the video (turn off my avt-3200) with the pj still running. It goes away when I turn it back on. I am using the RGB2 input. Also last night watching the BB game I noticed that the picture would go dim about half brightness for a few seconds then back to normal. Like someone flipped a switch. Did this several times so I turned down the brightness some and didn't notice it after that. Could this be a sign that I may have some troubles down the road. If someone does replace the caps in the power supply it would be very valuable to document so others could learn the procedure. I like Jason would like to do this before it goes completely out and avoid having this problem ruin something else.

Thanks

Matt Mirocha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I already changed 4 caps: c205,c206,c631 and c632. Those numbers are marked on the boards. (c631 and c632) are located below the green Lens inside Power unit. (after take out the aluminium panel)

The other two are located in the top board just above the blue tube.

Unfortunatly, after changing those 4 caps, still have the projector dead with te high pitched sound and no image.

I will proced with the change of both transistors D905 into BU208A.

I will put some pictures here later on. (proj is at home, I'm at work) :-|

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.