AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey You Guys,


I have a huge subwoofer problem. I'm upgrading from my Energy XL-S8, but am getting different recommendations and I'm not sure which to get.
This is my current system:

Denon 1910 7.1 Receiver

MartinLogan Encore TF Center Channel

Energy Connoisseur C-2 Front Speakers

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Rear Speakers

Samsung 40'' 1080P (Red Tinted)

Momitsu Blu-Ray Player BDP-899

This is what I've been recommended:

SVS PB10-NSD

SVS PB12-NSD

Dual PA-120

Elemental Designs A2-300

etc.


I want something that will TRULY give me that HUGE PUNCH! I want to be overwhelmed with bass and will make me jump and just shake my entire damn room. My room is around 11 x 14. What would you guys recommend that will REALLY shake my room and won't blow easily and why?


Please help! Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank45: My budget I guess is anywhere from $300 to the $500's.

The space restriction isn't much of a problem.

Also, the subwoofer will be placed on carpet, if that means a lot.

I'm not an expert with finding subwoofers (specs and stuff), but I know when I hear a good sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I have no personal experience with any of those but a lot of people recommend the SVS cylinder style subs for for a "serious "punch factor."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank45 /forum/post/18305221


I have no personal experience with any of those but a lot of people recommend the SVS cylinder style subs for for a "serious "punch factor."

Geometrical shape of the box is irrelavant to any indication of performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tank45: Do you know what cylinders give that boxes don't? I don't really get the difference between the two and how they're constructed.


Anymore recommendations anyone and why of the one's I listed above and why?


Thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
cylinders give you a smaller footprint, that's all. Shape doesn't make much of a difference. Volume does. In your budget I would look at the subs that Outlaw Audio has on sale right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18305297


cylinders give you a smaller footprint, that's all. Shape doesn't make much of a difference. Volume does. In your budget I would look at the subs that Outlaw Audio has on sale right now

Will those subs give me the desired amount of bass I'm looking for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I do not know. I'm not an engineer but I read these forums when I am researching. I would recommend that you do that and find people who have experimented around quite a bit then send them a PM. That is exactly what I did before purchasing the Rythmik that arrived on my doorstep yesterday. I can read Brian's (Rythmik) website and it is very technical - a lot of stuff I really do not understand but I do know that many people highly recommended it. Read up and try to find people that have tried what you are looking at.


Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunning1080P /forum/post/18305315


Will those subs give me the desired amount of bass I'm looking for?

We could answer that if we knew what is your max SPL and how low (Hz) do you want to go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18305381


We could answer that if we knew what is your max SPL and how low (Hz) do you want to go?

I'm not sure on what settings I'll be putting on it, I just want a sub that goes DEEP, LOUD, and CLEAR. Something to shake the room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunning1080P /forum/post/18305315


Will those subs give me the desired amount of bass I'm looking for?

As previously stated, volume is the key. I would also stick with the ported (as opposed to sealed) subwoofers for your budget.


The "desired amount of bass" is subjective and is dependent of your previous point of reference. For a room your size, assuming that you have 8-10 foot ceilings and is closed off, most of the the subwoofers you mentioned should suffice for most normal folks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan1000 /forum/post/18305430


As previously stated, volume is the key. I would also stick with the ported (as opposed to sealed) subwoofers for your budget.


The "desired amount of bass" is subjective and is dependent of your previous point of reference. For a room your size, assuming that you have 8-10 foot ceilings and is closed off, most of the the subwoofers you mentioned should suffice for most normal folks.

I have around a 10 foot ceiling, and the room is completely sealed off...it's my bedroom haha.

Out of the ones mentioned which will be the loudest, cleanest, and deepest? Another one to add to the list is the MFW-15. The sub will be only 3 feet away, so it shouldn't be TOO hard to make me truly feel the hell out of the sub.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunning1080P /forum/post/18305315


Will those subs give me the desired amount of bass I'm looking for?

I don't know if they will give you your desired amount of bass, but it might be the best bass you can get for 500 or under at the moment, while there is a sale going on. You can get more SPL from building your own sub, and you might be able to find something more powerful on the used market too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18305946


I don't know if they will give you your desired amount of bass, but it might be the best bass you can get for 500 or under at the moment, while there is a sale going on. You can get more SPL from building your own sub, and you might be able to find something more powerful on the used market too.

Haha ME making a sub? I wish. I wouldn't know where to even start.

Again, I just want something to shake my room and that I will literally feel pounding against me. The sub is only a couple feet away from my listening position, so it shouldn't be hard to accomplish that, but out of the subs that I have listed, which do you guys recommend to fulfill that the most? With the sound still saying clear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunning1080P /forum/post/18305484


I have around a 10 foot ceiling, and the room is completely sealed off...it's my bedroom haha.

Out of the ones mentioned which will be the loudest, cleanest, and deepest? Another one to add to the list is the MFW-15. The sub will be only 3 feet away, so it shouldn't be TOO hard to make me truly feel the hell out of the sub.

I have two MFW-15s. As much as I like them, I can't recommend them given the current state of affairs at AV123.


At the $500 price range, you will not notice a huge difference between the 12" driver versions of SVS, Outlaw, HSU, and Elemental Design. Personally, I would choose between the Outlaw LFM-1Plus and SVS PB12-NSD. However, at their current sale price, the Outlaw LFM-1Plus may be difficult to pass up.


If you aren't happy with the Outlaw LFM-1Plus in your room, then chances are the other subwoofers you mentioned will not do it for you either at $500. Rather than trying a different subwoofer, you will have to increase your price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV /forum/post/18379923


Stunning1080p, how are you liking your new PB12-NSD?

bump - thinking of one myself and would love to know how you feel about your purchase.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top