AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very confused now, my dealer who i'm buying all of my home theater stuff from and he is installing all of it to, told me too look at some of theses projectors instead of the x-1. I have been set on this pj for awhile now because of the price and the reviews i've read on this forum and others, but he's says that the x-1 cheap and has dim colors and is not very accurate. He told me to look at these pj's the sanyo plv-21, the infocus 5700, and the optoma h 76 which are all more expensive than the x-1. I'm spending a good chunk of my money on my speakers and reciever and screen, also my seating and furnishings for my home theater, and wanted to stay in the x-1 range and not have to cut back the other things. Should i consider these pj's or stick with the x-1. My room which is the basement is 18 by 28 and is dark with only 1 window. Any suggestions, or should i listen to this dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
huffdawg44,

I have been using an X1 for awhile and I still enjoy the WOW factor very much. IMO you just can't beat the price of the X1 what with all of the specs and goodies you get.

I would not just "listen" to your dealer, I would suggest you DEMO them (projectors) at his store to be sure. Compare them side-by-side. But, if you do not have the bucks to spend on a different projector then it is a no brainer. Just say no and be happy with the X1. Many of us are.

Matt

·
Registered
146 Posts
Do NOT compare them. Once you see "better" resolution, contrast, etc... you will begin to doubt your convictions. There is always "Better" - like the H76 well then let me show you a Runco or Dwin. Hmmmm like the Runco, Digital has something you should see. Hmmm maybe you should wait for the SXRD.

Come on now people. Even with the money ther's a point trying to get it just a little better starts to get just a little crazy. IMHO

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It all depends on your budget. I think the X1 is a fine starter projector and at its price can be easily upgraded in the future with less guilt not having spent a ton of bucks on a soon to be "obsolete" projector.

I think the X1 throws a great picture with no screen door on my 100" 4:3 screen at '14 feet that I can see. I love the "movie picture quality" that I get with the projector. I think I would spend more money on the audio, because in the future, the audio components are much harder to upgrade. The depreciation rate on speakers is ridiculous.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is why Forums are great we are all able to share our opinions.

I definitely compared before I purchased and still ended up with an X1. I needed a budget projector and compared 4 projectors within $200 of each other. Yes, I would compare again. I think people are able to formulate a good general and educated opinion of a projector by knowing the pros and cons. Are there aspects of other projectors in this price range I would rather have? Sure there are some, but I am happy with my choice of the X1 even after comparing projectors because I did compare and got the one "I" liked best overall. The X1 had aspects I liked better than others as well.

My original point was also to point out not to just take a persons word that a projector is, or is not the one to get. View it and decide what you like best.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Disclaimer 1 - I love my X1!

If you're dropping a few bucks onthe whole HT (audio, furniture, etc.) the dealer may view the X1 as a compromise. It might look like putting regualr tires on your Ferrari. They should work fine but they do seem a little out of place.

Decide what is most important to you and how you plan on using the room(audio music, audio HT, furniture, etc.) and allocate your budget appropriately.

I'm finding that my initial assumptions about my system use were way off. I find that I rarely just sit and listen to music anymore. I like it on in the background while I'm doing other things so have rigged up smaller speakers throughout the house.

As a result, I honestly think I spent too much on my speakes for what use them for. MY rear channels are B&W DM602s. They are better than the stereo speakers most of my friends have. They are awesome for music but overkill for HT (in my setup) and I only use them for HT surround.

Disclaimer 2 - I know that there are many speakers that are far superior to my B&Ws but I'm trying to make a point about my setup and how it may relate to huffdawg44's current situation.

Colin.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I assume you meant the Sanyo PLV-Z1 in your post. I find it interesting that the guy would recommend that over the X1. I have the Z1, but I did a lot of reading on the two before my purchase and I came away with the impression that it's a coin flip between the two. Deciding between them is a matter of personal preference more than it is superiority of one over the other. Every comparison I've read about them has portrayed them as being very equal machines, just different. Maybe the guy just wants to get you to shell out a little more money?

·
Registered
410 Posts
My guess is that your dealer can't get an X1 since it's a business projector and he likely isn't a dealer.

There's nothing wrong with listening to your dealer. As long as you understand he's a businessman. He wants your business, and he wants your money. I've noticed all of the local Home Theatre stores all want me to spend at least $5000 on a projector or they don't think it's worth it. I'm sure the profit margin on the more expensive projectors is a lot higher, but they also have a reputation to maintain. They don't want thier name on a major install with a weak component. It may make them look bad.

Also keep in mind that on one level, you're dealer is right. Those other projectors will look better. Will they look $2000 better? $3000 better? That's your decision. No one else can make it for you because it has a lot to do with you. Your budget, your expectations, your wants.

That being said, I have a cheapo business projector that my dealer said would look like crap and it looks amazing to me. Yes, he has projectors that look better, but they're not worth the money to me. I'm a cheap barsteward.

BTW, he also wanted to sell me my screen for $1100 and I found the exact same screen here on AVS for $349. So if money is more valuable than time, shop around.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've sat through many movies on the X1 (two of my friends have them) and its a great projector for the price. The two biggest negatives I see in the X1 are the aspect ratio and the occasional rainbow.

That being said... My theory has always been that what I see is most important, what I hear is second. My projector is the single most expensive component in my HT system. If you are spending big money on audio components I would spend at least as much on the video. Like the other poster stated... for home theater audio its not that difficult to go overboard on. The differences between mid range audio gear and high end audio gear for home theater (not talking about music listening) is much LESS noticeable than the difference between mid range Projectors and higher end projectors.

My recommendation is listen to your dealers suggestions for other projectors -- you might not want to buy from him depending on his prices tho :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
The X1 is a nice lil' projector, BUT... if you're spending quite a bit of money on all other elements in the theater room why note spend more on a projector for a better picture?

Yes the X1 looks good, but the H76 (or any DLP) will probably look better.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd stick with the X1 or Sanyo Z1 and keep your money on the room and furniture. These will outlast both your audio and video and at this stage should be where you're spending the bulk of your funds. After that a good screen and good speakers are next on the list since they too will last a long time. Audio right now is fairly stable so long as you get a receiver (or pre amp/power amp combo) that has DD-EX and DTS-ES so don't skimp to much here. For projection though given that we're just now seeing some quantum leaps in projection technology what ever you buy today will be obsolete in the very near future so given that funds aren't unlimited don't spend to much now. Besides its not like the X1 or Z1 produce a bad image that you'll regret every time you turn them on...they're both very nice and will easily do you for the next couple of years while the technology improves and prices drop. At that time you can think about upgrading but until they you'll have a strong well built theater room with a great screen and good speakers on which to build upon.

That said another way to save a lot of money might be to build your own projection screen. This can be as simple as ordering the screen material from AVS and stretching it over a simple 2 * 2 frame...an approp screen for either of these PJ's would run you about $200 all said and done which might save you enough to upgrade something else in the room.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Andrew... good points. Now that you mention it i think my couch was almost the same price as my projector, so yea I agree furniture should be right up there.

And you are right audio components will have a much longer life than the projector.

Maybe the X1 isn't a bad projector to start with... as long as you promise us you will upgrade it in a year or two :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.