AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My projector works fine again.Weird thing, because I never repair it.Just turn it off for about 2 weeks (see"Quadscan damaged my projector") and suddenly it works fine again.

I have very serious problems with QS Elite.(ver.3.05)

I set the output QS to 4:3B.

The problems are :

1. When I set the output to XGA (native resolution PJ) and input set to 4:3, I have unstable picture in the upper left screen.(see attachment)

Also when I set input to 16:9 , the upper picture sometimes become unstable (moving) especially with static background like DVD menu or when watching 1.85 DVD.

It become worst if I set output to 4:3A or 4:3C.

The problems disappear when I set to SVGA resolution, but I have less picture quality compare to XGA resolution.(I'm not satisfied with the results)

2. When I use subtitle from DVD, sometimes I have vertical "streak" follows it all over the screen, sometimes they seem like "flashes" or lightning.

This happens in both SVGA or XGA resolution.

Can anyone help me ?

Does my QS is the defect unit ?

I recommended not to buy QS before you try it with your PJ.Especially for international customer like me.

PS:I'm not receive any response after 3 days I email Shaun

·
Registered
51 Posts
I get the same "flashes" with the QS Elite in XGA with PAL signals. No problem with NTSC DVDs, or other resolutions. FE is looking into this for me to see what can be done.

For the meantime, I am using SVGA, not as good as XGA (native resolution for my PJ), but better than the straight signal from my player...

Patot

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a QS Pro w/Elite board, I mentioned that in a thread a while ago, apparently, nobody responded.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=47159

Contacting FE, and telling them it does the same thing on my FP & my 2 LCD computer monitors, but not on my CRT computer monitor. All they told me was they don't know any issues relating to it and to send the unit back. I don't want to have the unit returned to me saying everything is good. Can they send a board and allow us to do a board swap? This way I know if the new fix is actually fixed, so as not to have to send the unit back and forth over and over agani.

I also noticed that problem when it is set in 16x9C mode, which is the preferred 16x9 mode for me since it lowers the image to eye level.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi All,

My advice is to get a refund for the Quadscan Elite and buy yourself a nice Faroudja NR scaler.

One of the best upgrades I made was selling my Quadscan and buying my Faroudja NR scaler. The picture is much, much better.

Just my 2cents, Brian

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
This could be an issue with a thing called serration pulses. If anybody is using a computer video interface, there is proably a switch inside to either add them or remove them. this could be the issue in this case. Another possible cause could be sync polarity. Again an interface in most cases will force sync to negative. Look on Ebay for an extron box like the RGB 109 or the RGB 118 (and an input cable) THis may fix the problem. FOr more information on those problems, search on the extron website for

SERRATION PULSES

SYNC POLARITY

http://www.extron.com/technology/archive.asp?id=steve92

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Bubun,

your projector might not be compatible to the Quadscan. This is not new, nor is it unusual. Sync interfacing is a science in some cases. and you should not expect a company (Focus) to redesign a product for YOUR projector. Because you are having "SYNC" problems does not mean that the Quadscan is a bad or defective device. I understand your frustration, I don't understand how you can say that the problem is the Quadscan, it might be your projector, your projector might not be so "SYNC" friendly.

Anyway, Dizzman really gave you a solution. That same solution I have used for years, and that is the EXTRON interface boxes.

Extron has been able to somehow make there boxes clean up and correct sloppy sync problems before it gets to the projector.

And they will also improve on the signal (depending on model), almost a must for some projectors for proper signal level at the projector.

Focus (Quadscan) is on my list as a very good company in the support department, they have a very good low price high performing product, it's not perfect (none of them are), but for the buck, it can't be beat.

Sync problems are very complicated, the simple solution is to let an Extron do it...

P.S. Sloppy sync sometimes comes from the input source.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by patot

For the meantime, I am using SVGA, not as good as XGA (native resolution for my PJ), but better than the straight signal from my player...

Patot [/b]
If you are using SVGA resolution (like me), you should set QS input to 4:3 (DVD set to 4:3),QS output to 4:3.

Otherwise you have distorted proportion picture, because your PJ (actually XGA native resolution) will perform double scaling.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzman

This could be an issue with a thing called serration pulses. If anybody is using a computer video interface, there is proably a switch inside to either add them or remove them. this could be the issue in this case. Another possible cause could be sync polarity. Again an interface in most cases will force sync to negative. Look on Ebay for an extron box like the RGB 109 or the RGB 118 (and an input cable) THis may fix the problem. FOr more information on those problems, search on the extron website for

SERRATION PULSES

SYNC POLARITY

Dizzman [/b]
Thanks for the information.I have checked the EXTRON website,maybe EXTRON products can fix this problem.(I'm not 100% sure)

Any advice from EXTRON user ?

Anyone know the price for EXTRON SS-200 or RGB 109?

I'm thinking to build HTPC if this problem can't fixed. I'm very frustated with QS!

Do you think the same, Patot & Magpile?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
MP is correct. I have even used the extron sync stabilizers to force

a sync polarity inverson for Dwins. Sat TV boxes often only output positive sync and the Dwin requires a negative sync. I do not remember list prices but the cheaper extron I think retails for about $895. You can find it discounted somewhat.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally posted by mp20748
Bubun,

your projector might not be compatible to the Quadscan. This is not new, nor is it unusual. Sync interfacing is a science in some cases. and you should not expect a company (Focus) to redesign a product for YOUR projector.

Anyway, Dizzman really gave you a solution. That same solution I have used for years, and that is the EXTRON interface boxes.

Focus (Quadscan) is on my list as a very good company in the support department, they have a very good low price high performing product, it's not perfect (none of them are), but for the buck, it can't be beat.

I don't expect them to redesign QS just for MY projector.

It's impossible thing, all I need is good customer support. (like high-end audio company, e.g Audio Research, Jeff Rowland, based on my experience)

They should help me to solve this problems.

Thanks to Dizzman for the advice.

Do you guarantee 100% that if I use EXTRON box, all my problems will gone?

Maybe everyone have their own experience with the QS support department.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
This subject of support from FE has been discussed before, you might want to do a search. My guess is they have a very small number of people involved with the QS but have sales which dwarf those of the small great small high end audio companies. There is probably only one tech type to answer questions and his knowledge is probably limited. There have been issues re long time waits for repairs and mods. The QS elite is very reliable and is available relatively cheaply. It is not for everyone and clearly works better in certain situations than in others. Perhaps your answer is to trade the QS in on a high end scaler like the Leeza, Rock Plus, Vigatec. You should be able to get Jeff R like support from these companies as well as high end like audio performance.

Please understand, we here on this forum feel your pain and frustration and are trying to help you the best we can. It is not fair to ask a poster if he can guarantee something. However, a extron retailer could be persuaded to give you a right of return if it doesn't fix your problem. The only way to find out for sure is to try it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have contacted EXTRON through their website and explain my problems.

It seems they have good customer support, because I received respond on the same day. I handled by EXTRON Singapore.

They told me to do some tests to streamline the problem.

One of the tests is to try QS with another display device e.g computer monitor.

I followed their advice to connect QS directly to my computer monitor (which can handle XGA resolution) and set the QS output resolution to XGA.

The results is crystal crisp picture in my computer monitor without any problems.(image bending or flagging)

Does this means that VIDIKRON D-2200 can't work properly with QS because of serration pulse problem?

If I use EXTRON box which have serration pulse removal, will it fix my problems?

EXTRON Singapore advice me to use SS 200.(Sync Stabilizer)

Anyone in this forum can give me advice?

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Bubun,

you are on the right track. EXTRON is 'The Way to Go' when you need signal conditioning, and the SS 200 would be your best bet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

Did you try to modify the Size an Position parameters of your Quad?

If not this could resolve your problem. They are very sensitive and are greatly affecting the sync parameters.

With my DLP the values must be maintained in a narrow range. If I go out of it, I get an unstable picture or no picture at all.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I did the test with my quadscan Pro w/Elite board:

Mitsu X100 (1024x768) XGA projector

SVGA Any A/R In Any A/R Out. Picture fine

XGA 4x3 In 16x9B or 16x9C Out, Picture fine

4x3 In 16x9A or any 4x3 Out, Image tear/skew

SXGA Any A/R In Any A/R Out. Picture fine

IBM LCD 15" monitor, 1280x1024 (SXGA) resolution

4x3 In 16x9A or any 4x3 Out, Image tear/skew, unstable

Ezio LCD 18" monitor, 1280x1024 (SXGA) resolution

4x3 In 16x9A or any 4x3 Out, Image tear/skew

Sun 21" CRT monitor

XGA Any A/R In Any A/R Out. Picture fine

So it happens on 3 of the 4 displays I tested, and it has nothing to do with their native resolution since they had different ones, or sync issue, since it syncs fine with all other resolutions and, even in XGA, other image positions.

Let's say I have to live with this Crapscan, since I could make do with 16x9B in XGA resolution to my XGA projector. but when I want to view it in 4x3 out, is it better to let my projector scale to as high as possible (SVGA in this case) then let the projector scale the rest of the way, or should I just use the QS purely as an de-interlacer, and let projector do all the scaling. As I said before, both seem to do scaling equally well (both Genesis chips of different generation, my Mitsu X100 is of roughly 3-4yrs ago, QS's chip arch is not much newer.)

If I let the projector do the full scaling, what should the QS be set to? VGA or Double TV?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Bubun,

I appologize for not responding, I was on vacation last week. As far as support for US and Canadian customers you can call Mike Brown at (408)866-8300 ext 156.

For international customers you will need to contact a local distributor since they sell and support our products outside of North America. Use this link to locate the correct distributor in your area. http://www.focusinfo.com/distributors.html. If you do not get fast results you can contact [email protected] .

I am the director of sales for The U.S. I am NOT tech support so I appologize again if you are unsatisfied with the response that I have given you. I post on this board as a courtesy and I expect that most forum members understand that. Not all Audio and Video Home Theater companies have their Director of sales responding to a Forum.

Your issue is definately a sync problem. I was able to get the D-2200 to work by adjusting the frequency of the projector. This tells me that the XGA timing of this projector is probably not meeting VESA specifications. We are looking into it to see if we can resolve the problem without causing a problem with other projectors. We will work with Vidikron directly. I do agree with Mike Parkers suggestion to use the Extron product, this is a great way to eliminate the problem quickly!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
No One box by ANY manufacturer can be assured of solving all problems.

THe issues i previously mentioned are the most common problems. In reality those two items (Sync polarity, and serration pulses) should be setup options on scalers. ANd in some cases are.

As they are not, it shows that there is a gap between what source manufacturers output, and what projector manufacturers accept. THis (sometimes) incompatibility is why the "interface" is still a device that is needed sometimes.

In some cases a device (scaler) may output one resolution with a certain sync polarity (lets say -,- and everything works fine at 800 x 600) but at another resolution it runs differently ( lets say +,- for 1024 x 768) and maybe the display device does not like positive sync... To say that the scaler sucks is totally wrong and frankly, irresponsible. there are organizations that determine what these timings should be. In actual fact the issue in most cases is that the projector manufacturer skimped when making the machine so that it does not know what to do with a common sync format. It is not sloppy, it is just a different format.

If i went to the gas station and filled my car with diesel, and it stops working, does that mean that i have a crappy car? When you have a case where you get an image, but it is inconssistent between display devices, this should always tell you that there is something odd going on, as far as finding out what it is... everybody will get a much better end result if you assume that it is an inconsistency that can be fixed, and work with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
How does sync polarity and serration change all of a sudden when I switch to Output mode of 16x9A to 16x9B in XGA? Since between those 2 modes, one has tearing, the other does not?

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
It all depends on VESA modes. One may be one way and the next another way.

"Computer" resolutions and frequencies are very different and far more complex than "video" signals. When we forget that, we have little issues causing big problems.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shaun,

Thank you for your respond to my problems.

I have tried dot clock and phase adjusment, but it didn't work.

The problems is still there.I think this time I should try EXTRON to solve this problems, hope it will works.

Selac,

I have try Size and Position parameters both "in and out", it have no effect.

Iwang,

After I read your test, it seems that QS have problems with digital displays but works fine with CRT.

I think your problems is the same with me.

According to Dizzman and EXTRON, this maybe sync or serration pulse problems and often occur on the digital display.

Since you live in the USA, it is more easier for you to try EXTRON

products than me and let us know your results.

Anyway, what do you mean SXGA resolution in QS ? (I couldn't find it)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Babun,

SXGA, I meant DILA, my projector & monitor interprets it as SXGA (1280x1024) and dumps the extra pixels.

I don't know if I want to spend $1k for an Extron when the scaler itself goes for around $1k.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.