AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me begin by saying Emotiva does make quality gear...for their price bracket, here is my story.

About 8 months ago, I purchased an LPA-1 Multichannel amp to go along with my Emotiva LMC-1 Processor. I did this because I was upgrading to surround sound, and at the time only had a two channel amp.

After getting everything setup, I was pleased with the overall sound quality, and didnt have any issues with stereo music. I initially purchased a sort of cheap center channel thinking it would do the job, needless to say, it didnt. The voices in movies were always getting over powered by the left and right channels. So, I did what anyone else would have done, and calibrated, still no change. Even after boosting the volume +10 for the center, it still did not sound right. I figured at this point, it was that my center wasnt matched, so I ordered a matching center from the same company as my L R. Still no change, no matter what tweaking I did.

Fast forward to a few months later, I pickup a Parasound HCA-855a off of Craigslist. I didnt figure to try it out in the HT, so I simply used it as an amp for my bedroom speakers.

Today, I had the silly idea of trying the Parasound in my HT, and hot damn, did it sound sweet. The voices were clear and detailed, and ill be damned if I could tell where my L and R speakers were, it sounded amazing!

Now, sorry to hit you guys with this wall of text, but it would seem to me that Parasound (even their lower-end products) could theoretically spank Emotiva on almost every front.

Has anyone else encountered this with their Emo gear?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Out of curiosity, did you run test tones through your speakers and confirm output with an SPL meter to make sure the center channel amp was working properly?

I have also used a set of test tones to check for issues, but I don't know if there are any sources of test tones for a center channel.

It would be odd for an amp to be so bad that there was a major difference like that, and still work properly. Heck, relatively cheap receivers I have owned worked fine when driving the center channel. I would consider contacting Emotiva in case the amp is not working right.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsum /forum/post/16973026

I bet my 2 cents the amp is working right and its user error as always 99.9%.

Hmm, I guess it could be an error on my part, but there really isnt much to swapping two amps, unless there is some magical button im missing

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Parasound smacks Emotiva left, right and center....

no pun intended. lol.

It's like comparing a BMW to a Honda. Emotiva makes good stuff, but Parasound has always been a higher quality gear.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by combos99 /forum/post/16973100

Hmm, I guess it could be an error on my part, but there really isnt much to swapping two amps, unless there is some magical button im missing

You have to press that magical button called "Synergy" and everything will fall into place.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/16973290

Parasound smacks Emotiva left, right and center....

no pun intended. lol.

It's like comparing a BMW to a Honda. Emotiva makes good stuff, but Parasound has always been a higher quality gear.

Higher quality does not necessarily imply better sounding. But I assume you are implying Parasound makes better sounding amplifiers.

How did you determine this out of curiosity?

·
Registered
14,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL /forum/post/16973518

Try connecting your center to either FR og FL and see if that make the center come alive. If so its the amp.

+1. This should have been done before swapping out the amp. It would be good for the OP to do this because if the amp has an issue then it might still be under warranty. If under warranty the OP can send it back to Emotiva and get it repaired to have a fully functional amp.

The first MC amp I owned was the LPA-1 when av123 was still selling Emotiva gear. I had issues with the amp the biggest being transformer noise and buzzing from my speakers from all channels. This was when the LPA-1 was first released and av123 offered to replace it. I said no thanks and returned the LPA-1. I bought a Boston Acoustics A7200 (S/N A-965 clone) which is a much better built amp (IMO) and had no transformer noise and no buzzing from my speakers.

Bill

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I would have checked the speaker wires at the amp. Maybe you had the polarity inverted on the center channel. Also try moving the center to the FR or FL connections on the amp and see if you get an improvement of sound

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
I will buy your Emotiva amp for $50

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Now, sorry to hit you guys with this wall of text, but it would seem to me that Parasound (even their lower-end products) could theoretically spank Emotiva on almost every front.

I have posted this many times but I have $$$ for anyone that can actually prove this statement to be true. No one can, I wonder why

·
Registered
720 Posts
Have to agree, if stereo sounded fine then you either have a problem with the center amp or wiring issue firt. If it still works crappy after trying these then so be it. However before saying an amp sucks because the center doesn't sound right you need to eliminate these two issue for sure. It would be an easy mistake to swap polarity when hooking up the amp the swapping it to correct polarity when you changed amps.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
combos99,

I have been using the HCA855 since '02. Although like the LPA-1, it too is considered entry level but I have always found it to be a quality piece. Surprised to hear about the Emo problem though.

I don't know why people always assume the poster doesn't know how to set up his/her equipment. Perhaps because he didn't mention trying to power the Center using one of the other channels which he could hear were working properly? Polarity screw-ups are certainly easy to make sometimes but you'd think he would have checked that out long ago. Sounds like he dealt with this problem for quite a while.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/16974168

I don't know why people always assume the poster doesn't know how to set up his/her equipment.

I can think of a reason.

The percentage of user errors is undoubtedly many times higher than the percentage of equipment failures.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/16973647

+1. This should have been done before swapping out the amp. It would be good for the OP to do this because if the amp has an issue then it might still be under warranty. If under warranty the OP can send it back to Emotiva and get it repaired to have a fully functional amp.

The first MC amp I owned was the LPA-1 when av123 was still selling Emotiva gear. I had issues with the amp the biggest being transformer noise and buzzing from my speakers from all channels. This was when the LPA-1 was first released and av123 offered to replace it. I said no thanks and returned the LPA-1. I bought a Boston Acoustics A7200 (S/N A-965 clone) which is a much better built amp (IMO) and had no transformer noise and no buzzing from my speakers.

Bill

Luckily for me, I simply was able to set the Parasound along side, so it wont be hard to switch the speakers back over to the Emotiva, I have Baaaaaanana plugs

I guess it would have been a nice idea to try a different channel eh?

Oh, and your post reminds me, I bought the LPA-1 used from a gentleman that had it since launch, and the buzzing annoys the dickens out of me too, I just learned to live with it.

Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts