AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to have a dedicated home theater, but figured it was a lost cause since most houses do not have basements where I live. (california). After reading through the forums, I was inspired by some of the ideas that I've seen. Here is my first pass at a design that I threw together yesterday. The room is an upstairs bedroom approximately 12' x 19' x 8'. The screen wall is going to have to cover the existing window, so I am thinking of using an electric screen. This way I would still have access to the window.

There is an existing closet in the back of the room (not shown in my drawing, since I'm thinking I will demo it and claim that space). In addition I am thinking of building out behind where the existing closet was to get additional storage, and also gain access to the back of where I plan to have my components. I have not really researched much into this aspect yet, and am just assumming that it could be done.

I have no idea what components, speakers or projector that I am going to use yet. I am thinking of going with a 106" screen, with the first row of viewers eyes around 8' back. Anyways, enough talk.. here are my preliminary designs.

I know I have a lot to learn, and am looking forward to comments/suggestions.

-steve

·
Registered
194 Posts
This room is almost the same size as my build. 12x19 is pretty good acoustically (at least from what I could see using modecalc). I did squeeze in 4 seats on each row, but it's pretty tight. I was able to recess my side speakers so I am able to use the full 12' width (although that means no columns).

That's a big screen for the room size, although I am in the same boat, I am planning on starting with a 120" screen, and then drop it down to whatever is comfortable for me, and mask it with fabric frames.

Have you considered the smx screen? I have yet to see mine (that will be the end of my progress if I put up the screen and projector) if you are considering it, I would recommend getting that screen ASAP, the raw material is still available for a limited time, so you might want to jump on it while you can....

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The Smx AT screen while a fantastic screen, may not work for you if you are planning on lowering it in front of a window.

I DO suggest you at least read the CIH chat section on here and learn about 2.35:1 aspect screens and seeing movies as they are intended. Now is the time do investigate and decide. Many of us were well into planning and building theaters and screens with 16:9 before we "discovered" the CIH section.

Now it may not be for you but do check it out fully at this stage before you decide.

You are lucky with the closet in the back as you can mount your projector in there [be sure to install a quiet exhaust fan in there for projector and equipment.

Also NOW is the time to research and decide on sound isolation, and acoustics, though the final result on that will be once the theater is done to fine tune things but you want to consider them now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, there is a ton of information regarding building theaters! After some more reading, and a "quick" visit to the CIH thread I ended up modifying my plan. I'm now thinking of completely covering the window and going with a fixed screen. Here is a sketch of what I was thinking.

I have the speakers mounted on the sides in that drawing, but am also thinking that I may go with an AT screen and mount the speakers behind it. I've never seen an AT screen, however, and was wondering how they look quality wise? Is it possible to see the holes in the screen?

I also decided against a computer desk in the rear of the room, and will flush mount my equipment rack thus freeing up more space. I still haven't quite figured out the spacing I will need for my chairs and how large of a riser to build. I used the riser calculator and it said I needed a 12" riser. Does that seem about right?

I was hoping that I would be able to fit 2 rows of reclining chairs (Berkline 088's), but am not sure if I have enough room.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was able to get two rows in mine. I left the back row about 18" from the rear wall. My front row then comes in between 10 and 11' from the screen wall (AT screen which sits 20" from the front wall). The length is comfortable enough, although I would have preferred another foot or two to be able to get the 120" screen in there comfortably...

·
Registered
250 Posts
As a fellow Californian, I'm imrpessed you found the room! I salute you. I will definitely keep my eye on this thread all the way to completion. I applaud you for covering up the window. I think it's the way to go!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I came up with some new sketches using Sketchup, and found a way to squeeze in 4 seats across the back row. I currently have the screen out 24" from the back wall, but would like to reduce that if possible. The constraint I am running into is trying to leave enough room behind the screen for a sub. The SVS PB2+ is 19.5" wide. Due to my space constraints I may need to go with a smaller sub.. we'll see.

For acoustical treatments, I'm thinking of doing OC 703 along walls, and treat the entire area behind the screen. I plan to have some kind of bass traps in the front corners as well.

Does my design look sound so far?

View looking to the back of the room.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Looks good so far. You'll want to keep reading the CIH section before you totally nail down your screen size. I.E. you might want do 2.4:1 or 2.37:1 instead of 2.35:1. You can read this recent thread to give you some more insight - So is 2.40:1 the std?

I think you are going to be in there pretty tight with 4 seats in that space with columns and acoustical treatments. You might be able to make it work, but unless you really need the extra seats, I would stick with 3, and not have any jammed up against the side wall.

·
Registered
562 Posts
In regards to being able to see the holes in the screen... the closer you are, the more likely you are to see them, I believe there are some testimonials on this site and on SMX's website that indicate how close you have to be before you can see the holes. But due to the size of your theatre there may be a possibility from your front row... my room is a similar size to yours as well, ordered my projector this week, looking forward to starting.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar /forum/post/0

In regards to being able to see the holes in the screen... the closer you are, the more likely you are to see them, I believe there are some testimonials on this site and on SMX's website that indicate how close you have to be before you can see the holes. But due to the size of your theatre there may be a possibility from your front row... my room is a similar size to yours as well, ordered my projector this week, looking forward to starting.

I just received a sample of the SMX woven screen and beyond 5 ft. I cannot detect the weave.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used Google Sketchup for the latest drawings.

Tom, that's a good idea to use the cylinder subs as they take up less floor space. For some reason I got caught in the box subwoofer mindset and wasn't even thinking about other options.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Why not demo the closet AND flip the room end for end? You could then some of the closet depth to do an acoustically transparent front wall and screen. You could then hide all three front speakers, your subwoofer(s) and your bass traps.

The computer desk could then make use of the light from the window. A desk could either be built wall to wall on the window wall, or maybe done as a flip up section of a third row bartop. I think it would be rather cool to have a flip up section of bar with an lcd screen attached to the underside. Maybe one of those rotating lcd screen for reading AVS.

I'd also try to bring the seating off the side wall. If four seats wide are what you are after, I'd dispense with the columns entirely. Something like the KEF Ci FDT motorised surround dipole speaker might make more passage room for the asile yet still allow you to pull the seats off the wall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.