AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I tried ordering a Hughes E86 with 18x24 dish from abt electronics for $599. I was told it was on back order and would be in about a week. Two weeks later, they can't tell me when it will be in. So I cancel. I e-mail American Satellite and they tell me an exisiting DirecTV customer can buy the same package for $649. Fine, I say, let's do it. Then they call me and say, wait, you're an existing subscriber, the cost to you will be $749. I got very upset wondering why they wouldn't honor their e-mail so I cancel with them. It is like pulling teeth to buy this stuff. No wonder so many people aren't upgrading. So I have 600 American dollors to spend on a HDTV stb and 18x24 dish and I would like it before this weekend. Is that too much to ask? I am growing weary of this entire DirecTV scam they have where they treat new subscribers like royalty and kick dirt in the face of the old ones.

Fletch

·
Registered
345 Posts
If I were you I would hit all your local B&M electronic stores and find an open box STB. I just this weekend saw 3-4, all under $550. Just walk in and carry out. Sometimes these stores will even sale without sub'ing. Just tell them that you will call Directv when you get home as you cant remember your account number, or you are going to use if for OTA only or something like that. Worked for me.

Steve

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just called a local Tweeter and the guy told me they have the Hughes E86 in stock for $499. My day just got better! :)

Fletch

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wooo Hooo! I got HDTV!!! I watched Leno tonight on my new Hughes box! The guy at Tweeter was great. I would not recommend American Satellite, however. BTW - Is there an easier way to switch between 480i and 1080i than going deep into the install menu and changing it? Thanks,

Fletch

·
Registered
345 Posts
Congrats!!! That is a nice price. I have the Mits version of your box and think our STB is the best out there.

As far as your question, are you talking switching which output the signal leaves the box (HD/SD)? Otherwise, set the box to output 1080i and leave it there. It will upconvert all the regular DTV channels to 1080i which should be fine. If I didnt answer your question, be more specific.

Steve

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The "Action" button followed by the "Input" button on the DST-3000 remote will toggle you between the HD & SD outputs.

I disagree with Steve about leaving it in HD all of the time. I think that the picture usually looks better using the S-Video output when the source is not HD.

If you have a Pronto, there is a discrete code for SD vs HD. I assume that I got it from Remote Central, but I don't see them listed as discrete codes there.

If anyone needs these codes, let me know and I'll cut & paste them here when I get home.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. That action->input will make this much simpler. The next purchase will need to be a programmable remote control. Because I have the Outlaw 1050 I can't just punch in the code and nothing seems to perform all of the functions for my JVC DVD. I'll need macros it looks like.

Fletch

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I've got the Mits box too and having macro capability on my Onkyo remote definitely improves the HDTV experience. Way too much input switching, resolution toggling etc etc otherwise. You also know that "action/8" toggles the aspect ratio mode too right?

ron

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm not sure it matters where you set the resoultion (480 or 1080) if you are sending the signal out via S-Video. Can an S-Video cable move 480p? If I am watching TV on the component outs, I leave the STB in 1080i mode. Maybe since my set has been super tweaked, I am able to getaway with the upconversion of the non 1080i shows.

Of course, since I have a standaloneTivo hooked up to this STB, the receiver is in SD mode most of the time anyways.

Macros are the only way to go with this STB. I use the 15-1994, which is an All-4-One sold through radioshack. Do check out remotecentral.com

Steve

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveHoltam
I'm not sure it matters where you set the resoultion (480 or 1080) if you are sending the signal out via S-Video. Can an S-Video cable move 480p? If I am watching TV on the component outs, I leave the STB in 1080i mode. Maybe since my set has been super tweaked, I am able to getaway with the upconversion of the non 1080i shows.
The resolution selection / output selection are actually the same thing. When you toggle between SD & HD, you are also toggling which outputs are active. When you are watching with the component outs, you have no choice but to watch in 1080i mode.

The upconversion is done within the STB and has nothing to do with your "super tweaked" TV. When upconverting severely compressed channels on DirecTV, the picture looks ****** on a big screen TV. In this situation, using the S-video output (which is automatically 480i) looks better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.