AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this DVD because I love the movie. I did not expect a high quality transfer.

But that's exactly what I got. Granted, it's not a reference disk, nor is it as clean and free of EE as North by Northwest, but it's close. I watched it this evening and both the GF and I were in awe of how good the movie looked. We'd been watching it for years on TV both P&S and letterboxed, but it NEVER looked this good. Not even close.

There is some EE, but I had to look for it to find it. There's a very minor bit of film grain, and some scenes are a bit on the soft side, but I have a feeling that is from the original film, and not the transfer. The film was is great condition, and very few nicks, scratches and dirt are evident. The colors are extremely good for a film this age and gave a life to the film that has been lost in TV airings. The detail is simply amazing to me after all these years of muddy TV airings. You can see facial features like pores and beads of sweat you never knew were there before.

Seeing it in 2:35-1 was also a treat, as this movie makes frequent use of the entire visual field. If you've only seen the P&S version of this film on TV, you owe it to yourself to at least rent this DVD and see it the way it was intended.

The sound is what you would expect for a movie from 1970. It's mono reengineered into 5.1. It isn't bad considering, but it does get a bit thin and shrill now and then. In a few scenes, it seems the engineers forgot which channels to switch the sound effects to, but it's not distracting.

After being terribly let down by the quality of the Grease DVD (the GF's fav movie) and many other classics, this movie is a pleasant surprise. I was beginning to think all my favorite classics would be crappy transfers. I thought Patton was a reasonably good classic war DVD, but the transfer quality of Kelly's Heroes blows Patton away.

This DVD has found a permanent place in my changer. :)

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
So many positive waves... :D KH is a great movie and it does look (and sound) great on DVD. This is the sort of thing that really makes home theater worthwhile for me- the rediscovery of movies I've loved for years in a form at least approximating how they were intended to be seen. I had a similar experience recently with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I finally picked it up and was amazed by the transfer, considering the age of the film and realized about halfway through I had never seen it in any other format but P&S on a 27" TV until that moment. What a great experience!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heh, I was just surfing around and found a review of the KH DVD that sounds just like my own. :)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=883

Heck, they gave it an even more glowing review than I did. But it was the first time they'd seen the film, so it was a very special treat for them.

For those of you who haven't seen Kelly's Heroes, go get it. It's a great movie with good action, and lots of laughs. The fact that it's such a high quality transfer is just icing on the cake. I wish I could have seen it like this the first time :)

Fred,

I'll have to check out Butch Cassidy. I saw it in the theaters when I was a kid, and many times since in P&S on TV. It's good to hear they have made a high quality transfer of it. :)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Its anamorphic.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I also thought it looked really good (I think being part of the Clint Eastwood Collection helped it as it got more attention than similar movies in that genre). I wish the Dirty Dozen and Great Escape could have gotten the special treatment also.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, it's anamorphic. Beautifully anamorphic :)

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deeann
I wish the Dirty Dozen and Great Escape could have gotten the special treatment also.
Great Escape seems to have better editions in non-R1 versions. Hopefully it will get a real R1 SE makeover at some point because I think it's one of the best movies ever made...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fourseasons:

You must have picked up a bootleg or had an earlier release, because the copy I bought from deepdiscountdvd.com *IS* without a doubt, anamorphic.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amused
Fourseasons:

You must have picked up a bootleg or had an earlier release, because the copy I bought from deepdiscountdvd.com *IS* without a doubt, anamorphic.
Absolutely. We had a thread like this a couple weeks ago and I pulled it out, threw it in the PC and checked.

·
Registered
931 Posts
i thought this wasn't supposed to be released till may? Where have I been

·
Banned
172 Posts
Really? I picked up my copy sometime last year. Is there a new version out that is anamorphic?

If so, I'm out of my door to pick a copy RIGHT THIS MINUTE!

·
Registered
931 Posts
yeah got to amazon.com and do a search it says you can preorder it now. I really would like a good quality transfer of this film so I guess i'll wait for the new version.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amused
The copy deepdiscountdvd sells is anamorphic. I can verify that.

The box desn't say anamorphic, but the disc is.
Maybe this will settle things- the version being referred to is part of the Clint Eastwood Collection and has the UPC # 1256951562. It *IS* A) currently available and has been for at least a year, B) anamorphic, C) mislabeled, and D) looks really good. :D :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
Maybe this will settle things- the version being referred to is part of the Clint Eastwood Collection and has the UPC # 1256951562. It *IS* A) currently available and has been for at least a year, B) anamorphic, C) mislabeled, and D) looks really good. :D :D
Yes on all accounts. Your UPC code matches the one on my box.

A) Yes, I've seen reviews of the same disc that are three years old. I picked up mine at deepdiscountdvd.com a few weeks ago.

B) Yes, I can say without a doubt that it IS anamorphic.

C) The box is mislabeled (actually, it's UNlabeled).

D) It's more beautiful than I had ever dreamed it would be. :)

Now would you guys stop with all the negative waves here? It's a mother beautiful disc. :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, you'd be CRAZY to order this from Amazon for $14+ when deepdiscountdvd.com sells it for under $10 AND free shipping.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I wasn't going to order it from amazon i was using it as an example of the pre-order status.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/search.cfm

$14.39

From searching on-line I can only find the Clint Eastwood version for around 14+

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy cow! They bumped up their price! I bought it just a week or two ago for $9.99 :eek:

Sorry 'bout that. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.