AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the future hold for availability and pricing of very large Plasma displays? (over 65") There seems to always be a "sweet spot" in the market, above which the price skyrockets. A few years ago it was 42", then 50". Currently I would say it's 65". One can buy a 65" Panny for well under $4K, but the next step up is their 85" TH-85PF12UK, which leaps up to $30K list (about $26K street). LCD price jump is similar.

What other large plasmas are out there or in the works? How quickly are we going to see prices fall for these very large screens?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ran across some good news for large plasma fans:

"But earlier this year, Samsung announced a 70in panel. A 76in plasma panel from LG is also on its way to HDTVs of the future."

This is from an interesting article on HDTV trends:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti...0/?fp=2&fpid=2

I would love to move up (in size) from my 50" Pioneer- Awesome set BTW.... highly recommended! I'm hoping to see some affordable large Plasmas soon. Currently it seems the only option in those larger sizes is DLP (without breaking the bank). Looks like we will have Samsung, LG, and Panasonic all making 70"+ plasmas very soon! Throw laser DLP's into the mix, and I think we'll see pricing come down fast in this size.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I think the problem is that when you get to 65" or bigger you really are treading into projector-land. And, projectors have come down enough and the performance is good enough that its likely cheaper to go that route for a huge screen. Plus, projectors are capable of larger screens than any flat-panel.

Dont get me wrong - Im a flat-panel lover and will always go that route if its feasible. But, if you are looking for a huge screen, chances are you have a dedicated viewing room and in that case its worth looking at a projector.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just purchase a 63" Samsung plasma to replace a 57" rptv. I hope that by the time I am ready to replace it that there will be a 80"+ tv on the plasma at a reasonable price. I want to have a bigger screen at home. I've been thinking of a projector but my maximum distance from screen to back is only 13 feet and the projector will eat another foot of that. After 80"? I am dreaming of a thin tv that I can hang on the wall at 100". Then I will stop.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey /forum/post/18195679

I think the problem is that when you get to 65" or bigger you really are treading into projector-land. And, projectors have come down enough and the performance is good enough that its likely cheaper to go that route for a huge screen. Plus, projectors are capable of larger screens than any flat-panel.

Dont get me wrong - Im a flat-panel lover and will always go that route if its feasible. But, if you are looking for a huge screen, chances are you have a dedicated viewing room and in that case its worth looking at a projector.

I agree with you on the price and performance of projectors. The dedicated room is the key point though. Some people (like me) want a larger screen in a non-dedicated room. Projectors just don't work well with a lot of ambient light. How many people fall into this category? I don't know.

I'm actually building a new home right now, and could have easily made a dedicated room. We decided to make our living room more of a dual purpose room- just to make viewing a bit more social, and be near the fireplace, kitchen/bar, etc.... One of the things that really gives me second thoughts is the possibility of having a verticle center channel speaker behind an acoustically transparent screen. That would be ideal. I imagine that the larger the screen/panel, the more preferable that is.

In terms of future costs.... BB has a 65" panny plasma for $2,300
It's not hard to imagine a future where a 100" might be in the $10k range, at which point that starts to be competitive with higher end projection rigs even for a dedicated room. I'm wondering how long it will take to get to that point?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoDLion /forum/post/18196027

I just purchase a 63" Samsung plasma to replace a 57" rptv. I hope that by the time I am ready to replace it that there will be a 80"+ tv on the plasma at a reasonable price. I want to have a bigger screen at home. I've been thinking of a projector but my maximum distance from screen to back is only 13 feet and the projector will eat another foot of that. After 80"? I am dreaming of a thin tv that I can hang on the wall at 100". Then I will stop.

That Samsung sounds like a big step up in picture quality! I think it's looking good for an affordable 80", and even 100" panel in the future. I think plasma makers have an incentive to go larger, where they still enjoy a cost advantage over LCD. Other techs like laser DLP and OLED will help drive the market also. I love your "Then I will stop" comment!!!
famous last words......

·
Registered
157 Posts
Could you imagine the weight of a plasma or LCD larger than 65"? How would you transfer something that large to a basement assuming that's where you have the space?

If you really want a panel that big there are commercial solutions link displays together to form one large display. I don't know how well that works in residential.

I am going to agree with the projector suggestion. The newer projectors allow 100+" screens at value, with the quality of the image just as good why would someone spend even $10K on a panel?

Based on supply and demand I don't think price would ever drop to something mainstream.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoDLion /forum/post/18196027

I installed a projector for a friend in a room similarly sized and was able to install it 12" from the screen without using the zoom too much got a 106" picture without using any geometry features of the projector. I used a SONY projector but can't remember the model number. This was a few years back.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies /forum/post/18196531

I agree with you on the price and performance of projectors. The dedicated room is the key point though. Some people (like me) want a larger screen in a non-dedicated room. Projectors just don't work well with a lot of ambient light. How many people fall into this category? I don't know.

I'm actually building a new home right now, and could have easily made a dedicated room. We decided to make our living room more of a dual purpose room- just to make viewing a bit more social, and be near the fireplace, kitchen/bar, etc.... One of the things that really gives me second thoughts is the possibility of having a verticle center channel speaker behind an acoustically transparent screen. That would be ideal. I imagine that the larger the screen/panel, the more preferable that is.

In terms of future costs.... BB has a 65" panny plasma for $2,300
It's not hard to imagine a future where a 100" might be in the $10k range, at which point that starts to be competitive with higher end projection rigs even for a dedicated room. I'm wondering how long it will take to get to that point?

Totally with ya. I dont have a dedicated theater room and likely never will. And, yeah, ambient light reduces projector brightness to almost nothing.

I just assumed that such a large screen shopper would be using it in a room that might work with a projector!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvara /forum/post/18196684

Could you imagine the weight of a plasma or LCD larger than 65"? How would you transfer something that large to a basement assuming that's where you have the space?

The 85" Panny weighs 286 lbs. If you can afford the panel, you can afford to hire some movers also!

Quote:

I am going to agree with the projector suggestion. The newer projectors allow 100+" screens at value, with the quality of the image just as good why would someone spend even $10K on a panel?

Ambient light. Also debatable if the image is as good as a nice plasma. While certainly by far the most economical way to get a large picture, the cost of the projector, mount, screen, and possibly lens adds up. Not to mention the cost of room treatments needed with a projection setup.

Quote:

Based on supply and demand I don't think price would ever drop to something mainstream.

You may be right on this, but it would depend on what you call "mainstream". With a 65" name brand plasma approaching $2k, I think the day is coming when mere mortals can afford a 70"-80" plasma- maybe in a couple of years (i hope).

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
Power consumption is also key for me. I'm looking forward to a 65+ incher that consumes no more than 250 watts. I don't want a 500W plasma in the living room.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies /forum/post/18199652

Ambient light. Also debatable if the image is as good as a nice plasma. While certainly by far the most economical way to get a large picture, the cost of the projector, mount, screen, and possibly lens adds up. Not to mention the cost of room treatments needed with a projection setup.

You may be right on this, but it would depend on what you call "mainstream". With a 65" name brand plasma approaching $2k, I think the day is coming when mere mortals can afford a 70"-80" plasma- maybe in a couple of years (i hope).

I totally agree with you. I'm with all you guys bigger=better.

I am thinking some other type of technology will superscede Plasma/LCD. Such as holographic imagry. 3D seems to be the hype this year with TV manufacturers and they can achieve holograms using multiple projectors. It's just a matter of time that Star Trek Holodecks will be available
lol Who knows?

BTW - The only future proof technology is Money. Save your money so you can keep buying the latest.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/18201962

Power consumption is also key for me. I'm looking forward to a 65+ incher that consumes no more than 250 watts. I don't want a 500W plasma in the living room.

Why?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts