AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a 5080 from Amazon, plugged it in and the fan was louder than the fan on my PC. I can hear the fan while listening to my TV, about 9 feet way, and can hear it from 20 feet away with the TV off.

I'm sure it is the fan because I can stop it with a pen cap and the thing makes no noise. I have a showstopper and the only noise I get from it is infrequent disk noise, which I can live with.

I called Replay and after 25 minutes got a guy that said this wasn't normal and I should get another one from my retailer. I guess I will have Amazon send me another one, but it is a pain in the butt. My local retailers still don't have the 80's yet.

I was wondering how common the loud fan's are on the 5000's? Have people returned one and gotten another one just as loud?

Thanks,

-Bruce

ps. I have seen other people have mentioned the noise and JadeEast had suggestions for people that are willing to hack their box, which I am not at this point. I would have replied to that topic except it got off the topic.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bruce

I will be firing up my new 5080 later today (or tonight)...I will let you know if I have any issues with fan noise once I give it a good look-over.

FYI: I picked up my 5080 at my local "Good Guys" store in Puyallup, WA 2 days ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It sounds like either the Chinese factory Sonic Blue is having the 5000's made at got a bunch of bad fans, or they're being installed incorrectly.

I have a 5040, the fan is a barely audible whisper. It does push a fairly large amount of air.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It is possible some foam or cable is touching the plastic blades. Have a look, this can happen to PC's also. A a good squirt from a can of pressurized air can often fix it.... Might be worth a try and save you time !!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"It is possible some foam or cable is touching the plastic blades."

I don't think so, it sounded as it should, just loud. I tried tightening the screws that hold it in, but that didn't help. As I said I am not willing to open the unit since it would void the warranty.

"I will be firing up my new 5080 later today (or tonight)...."

Curious to see how it goes for you.

"I agree my 5040 fan is essentially whisper quiet."

As is the one on my Showstopper, but as I said the 5080 I received was louder than my desktop PC.

From Amazon's web site is was really easy to set up the return, they allow you to print a shipping label and ask you to bring it to the post office which I did. They sent me a note saying my replacement would be sent out tomorrow. We will see how it goes with that one.

Thanks for the replies.

-Bruce

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I returned my 5040 because of the loud fan. It seems to me the noise is not actually the fan but the sound of air passing through. Either way a side by side comparison with my 4040 clearly showed the 5040 was much much louder. If SB says this is a defect then I should returned it as defective and saved $30 S/H.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I've had 4 5040s, 2 from BB and 2 from GG.com and they all had

loud fans. I guess it's possible the fans are defective but it really

looked like they were working fine and this particular fan is just

plain loud.

I have old PCs that are louder, but anything current built with

Panaflos is much quieter. I have one unit sitting in a media

stand that muffles the fan sounds making it less noticeable,

but the other unit is just sitting on a desk and it can get quite

annoying.

I'm guessing the folks who have quiet units actually have a

different fan installed in their units. No one with a quiet unit

has had a chance to volunteer the model # and specs for their

fan so I can't confirm this.

When I have some time I think I'll slow down the RPMs. From

PC experience you can still get decent airflow with significant

noise reduction.

I briefly tried disconnecting the fan completely and the 5040

is damn quiet (especially with the FDB drives) but the heat

sink on the power supply was getting significantly hotter to

the touch.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have a 5040 in my bedroom and the fan is quite loud, MUCH louder than the 3030 it replaced. It sure does seem a waste to ship it back across the country to Amazon for another unit, and I am just adventuous enough to replace the fan, and then argue my case with SB in the event the unit has to go in for service within the warrantee period. I have a nice quiet Zalman PC case fan that should serve quite nicely.

Wait, it's my new 5080 that's coming from Amazon. I bought the 5040 at the local Best Buy. So I could return it, but it still seems silly to have to return something just because it has a loud fan when I am perfectly capable of replacing the fan myself. Would they really refuse to honor the warrantee if I replace the fan myself? Sure, they could, but would they? It's a rhetorical question, but I guess if the answer is "yes" then I better just return it to Best Buy for another one.

What kind of connector does the fan use? Another rhetorical question as I am sure this has been answered elsewhere. Just thinking out loud.

David

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by haysdb
I have a 5040 in my bedroom and the fan is quite loud, MUCH louder than the 3030 it replaced.

I have a nice quiet Zalman PC case fan that should serve quite nicely.

What kind of connector does the fan use? Another rhetorical question as I am sure this has been answered elsewhere. Just thinking out loud.
Well that's not too difficult, the 3030 didn't have any fans :)

The fan sits between the power supply unit and the back edge of

case. There's enough room for 15mm fan. If Zalman PC fan is 25mm

it won't fit without moving the power supply unit.

I believe it is 2-pin molex connector.

There's more information in these threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=188565

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=190838

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
Well that's not too difficult, the 3030 didn't have any fans :)
Ah. That would explain the difference, wouldn't it?

Even though I have two perfectly good 25mm fans sitting on a shelf, I'd buy a 15mm fan if I could find one. Yes, I could go on a mission but I'm hoping someone else will do it and just post the info so lazy buzzards like me can spend our time doing something else.

OK, I'm searching...

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
digikey.com has the Panaflo model FBA08T12L, an 80mm x 15mm fan rated for 21.6 CFM. I believe, although I don't remember where I read this, that this is a 2000 rpm fan, which ia relatively slow and therefore should be relatively quiet. Of course the blades on a 15mm fan are going to be less efficient than those on a 25mm thick fan.

The fan costs $12.50 but throw in a $5 service charge for orders under $25 and shipping, and it becomes a ~$22 investment.

As stated elsewhere, mounting a 25mm fan on the outside of the case is one alternative, but that's just too kludgy for me. Moving the power supply is another, but I figure SonicBlue might overlook a user-installed fan replacement, but might frown on mucking around with the power supply. I might be dreaming though and they might just see the broken seal and refuse to listen to further arguments.

David

·
Registered
264 Posts
 http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sandenpetace.html

Here's another 80x15mm fan that is supposed to be pretty good (although a bit pricey @$18.95).

Fan Speed 2000 RPM

Maximum Air Flow 20.13 CFM

Noise Level 21 dBA

It seems to come with a 3-pin connector as opposed to the 2-pin connected used on the 5xxx series. Any ideas how the wires on a 3-pin connector correspond to those on a 2-pin connector?

I figure if I'm gonna void my warranty by replacing the HD I might as well replace the fan too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by haysdb
I might be dreaming though and they might just see the broken seal and refuse to listen to further arguments.
My guess is that they'll be looking for any reason not to do warranty work. They aren't exactly burning up Wall St. with their financial results and if they can get out of paying for warranty work my guess is that they'll choose to do so. Just my opinion. I hope I'm wrong as I'll be cracking my 5040 case open in the near future.

Has anybody with an older unit (4xxx or ShowStopper) that has been modified been able to get warranty work done?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zabolots
Has anybody with an older unit (4xxx or ShowStopper) that has been modified been able to get warranty work done?
Yes, quite a few. It's kind of a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. If you say you modified it/opened the case, they'll charge you for the repair. If you don't say anything they don't charge you.

After all, some of the units came without stickers attached, others have had them rub off from moving the units around. They can't punish everyone for the few legitimate problems.

Of course, if you don't put it back to the way it was when you got it, ie, put all the original drives and fans back in and remove anything you put in there, they'll think you're smoking crack for sending it back to them for repair.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Doubt it matters: Your unit calls the mother ship every night. 411Zones shows disk info. Simple matter to upload that info if they wanted to, I'd say...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The third wire is for monitoring the fan speed. The fan doesn't need it. And visa versa - a 2-wire fan can be connected to a 3-pin header and it will still work, but of course no fan speed monitoring.

I ordered the Panaflo fan so that I can simply swap the fan and not have to touch anything else. I expect I'll have to splice the original connector onto the new fan, but a couple of butt splice connectors should handle that OK. If it's still too loud I might try adding a resistor as recommended elsewhere, to drop the voltage from 12v to something a little less so that the fan runs slower. Before I do that I will probably try some of the other suggested accoustic remedies. Hopefull just replacing the fan will be enough. I'm not looking for silence, just a reduction of maybe 6dB.

David

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just picked up a 5040 the weekend so I can get my 3060 back from the kids. After reading on boards, I new that the 5040 was going to be louder, but I didn't expect it to be so loud and always on. When I plugged it into the wall outlet for the first time, the plug sparked at the outlet and the fan fired up. I was disappointed to learn that the fan remains on all the time, whether the Replay 5040 is on or off. Without the third power wire, the fan doesn't even slow down or shut off when the unit is cool or off.

So I guess I'm unfortunate to get this "loud" version of the fan from GG. Its the loudest thing on my rack of equipment and the only one that won't shut off at night. I can hear it from 20' away and its pretty loud at 5', sound like a soft vacuum cleaner hum. If it should down at when it was off, that wouldn't be so bad, but the alway hum on is annoying.

I was planning on upgrading the hard drive very soon to a Maxtor 250GB, so I guess if I keep this 5040, I'll have to upgrade to a Panaflo FBA08T12L, an 80mm x 15mm fan rated for 21.6 CFM. How long should I wait to "burn" in the unit before I open the box and void the warranty? What has your experience been with 5000 series infant mortality rates?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.