AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. I need some help. I just got a Philips HDTV, and I'd like to hook my computer up to it. Right now it is connected through the svideo, but it is very blurry. It has HDMI input, but my gfx card does not. It is a ATI Radeon 9000 AGP. It only has vga and svideo. I have an hdmi to dvi cord, with a dvi to vga adapter at the end of it, but it doesn't want to display. I've read over some of these forums but I'm so new to everything, I don't understand. I even had to wikipedia HTPC to find out what that meant.

Thanks for the help in advance :)

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yacov
Hey fellas. I need some help. I just got a Philips HDTV, and I'd like to hook my computer up to it. Right now it is connected through the svideo, but it is very blurry.
The reason it is blurry is that the max resolution of Svideo is only 480i, 640 x 480.

Quote:
It has HDMI input, but my gfx card does not. It is a ATI Radeon 9000 AGP. It only has vga and svideo.
I'd recomend getting a new card then if it only has VGA and Svideo. the Nvidia 6600GT's are great cards and have excelent HDTV support within the latest drivers.

Once you upgreade to a new video card you can use your DVI to HDMI cable, the reson your current setup doesnt work is that becuase DVI and HDMI uses a digital signal and VGA is an analog signal.

Quote:
I have an hdmi to dvi cord, with a dvi to vga adapter at the end of it, but it doesn't want to display. I've read over some of these forums but I'm so new to everything, I don't understand. I even had to wikipedia HTPC to find out what that meant.

Thanks for the help in advance :)

hope that helps,

- Josh

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
spend the extra $50 and get a new video card.

- Josh

·
Registered
379 Posts
A Radeon 9700 is the minimum you want to buy. It'll get you hooked up and HTPC/DVD ready on the cheap.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx
spend the extra $50 and get a new video card.

- Josh
Not quite that simple. If I'd followed that advice with my set (a Toshiba CRT based RPTV) I'd have something that wouldn't work, at least if I bought an ATI card with DVI out. A lot of that advice existed on this forum at the time, but fortunately thread were starting to appear about how problematic DVI can be with some combinations of video cards and sets.

Also, even assuming a DVI/HDMI connection will work on this set, if the set only has one HDMI connnection, someone might not want to waste it on an HTPC if they have another device that requires HDCP.

Which I guess brings up another issue. Some cards will do component out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much fellas. I guess I'll get a new card. I didn't even know what hdmi was till my friend saw me switching between my svideo computer to hd cvi xbox. I dont have any other hdmi plugins, so a new card should do. I'll price check for the 9700. Thanks so much!

-Jake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.