AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum, I bought a refurbished Onkyo Ht-Rc160 off of accessories for less. After unboxing, the receiver did not have a single sign of wear anywhere on it. I plugged all my sources and speakers in and started listening to some music. It all sounded great! However when I turned on my ps3 and put in The Dark Knight (bluray) there was an audible hiss coming from all my speakers particularly my main L&R's. I didn't think anything of it until I turned the volume up past 30.

The hiss was a little too much to tolerate and I certainly did not expect this from onkyo. I tried switching audio cables from the ps3 from HDMI to digital optical. This did nothing. Another factor could be my main speakers age. They are 24 or 25 year old piece-of-junk mitsubishi 3-ways. I currently have no way of testing different speakers in the mitsu's stead because my system is only 3.1 at the moment (yikes right?). I also tried turning the treble as far down as possible (-10) it kind of helped, however the hiss was still there and my sources then had no treble. Could it be because my speakers are less than 8 feet away from the listening area and I'm just noticing it because I'm so close to them?

Anyway, does anyone know anything about this reciever? Problems in the past like this one? And what can I do to try and fix this?

Any help is gladly appreciated. Thanks a lot!!!

-JHucke

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER
Hisses on all sources? Or just the PS/3?
All sources

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy
+1. Looks like the refurb wasn't complete.
ouch man.. what do you think is wrong with it even? Because at lower volumes, it sounds fine

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hard to say, but might be a loose connection or loose solder. I have a tube headphone amp, and whenever hiss pops up, I know a tube is a little loose. I push down the tube to tighten the connection, and hiss goes away. It's possible something needs to be reseated or connected in your amp. Shipping may have caused a connection to loosen.

If you have the option, have them send you a replacement. If not, maybe open it up and see if all connections look secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHucke
ouch man.. what do you think is wrong with it even? Because at lower volumes, it sounds fine

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy
Hard to say, but might be a loose connection or loose solder. I have a tube headphone amp, and whenever hiss pops up, I know a tube is a little loose. I push down the tube to tighten the connection, and hiss goes away. It's possible something needs to be reseated or connected in your amp. Shipping may have caused a connection to loosen.

If you have the option, have them send you a replacement. If not, maybe open it up and see if all connections look secure.
Okay well thanks a lot for the input. I contacted Onkyo and accessories4less. Hopefully accessories can help me out here. This certainly is not the first time they had let me down with their products. I'm starting to question their reliability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts