AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother in law has an OLD 27 RCA that only has a coax input on the back. Is there any work around to get a DVD player run on that TV? Run thru a VCR maybe?

Thanks!

Mark.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You can run the DVD into the line input of a VCR and connect to the tv via the internal Ch 3 modulator. Or you can buy a ch 3 modulator and hook it up to the TV via an A/B switch ( you cable system is broadcasting something on ch3 and your vcr is on that channel with its internal modulator so you will need the a/b switch)

Alan

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm in the same situation, my TV only has coax. Okay, follow me here: I have a Playstation and a DVD player going into an A/V switch box. The video and audio from that go into my VCR. [so far, these are all just those basic RCA jacks.] From the VCR, the coax cable into the TV. So I have to turn on the TV and the VCR, if I want to watch a DVD or play a videogame.

I use the switchbox because I have multiple inputs that need to go into the VCR, which only has 1 RCA input [the DVD, the PS1, and occasionally a video camera]; and they need to go through the VCR because my TV only has one Coax, and only my VCR has the Coax.

HOWEVER: I haven't had this problem, but many people have--many DVD players have Macrovision, so if you're playing a Macrovision-enabled DVD through a VCR, it scrambles the video picture [to eliminate copying]. I haven't had this problem, but apparently a lot of people have. My VCR is a Go-Video dual deck, and I think it doesn't support Macrovision, so I lucked out.

There are ways around this, you can get Macrovision disablers, but I don't know the details of those.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You can get a switch box with a modulator built in. RS has them, even Walmart has one ($35 goto http://www.walmart.com and search for PM61153).

If you go thru the VCR you risk Macrovision raising its ugly head.

Low tech is a plain RF modulator and the VCR and an A/B switch.

·
Registered
22,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RollieP
DVDs contain the Macrovision, not the player.
I believe you are only half correct. The player (DVD or VCR) must "support" Macrovision in order for it to work. If the device doesn't support or have the option enabled, the tape/dvd will play fine. (And will allow you copy/record)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ratman
I believe you are only half correct. The player (DVD or VCR) must "support" Macrovision in order for it to work. If the device doesn't support or have the option enabled, the tape/dvd will play fine. (And will allow you copy/record)
I think that's my case--certainly the DVD's are encoded with Macrovision, and my dvd player probably pushes it through, but the VCR through which I'm running the video signal either doesn't support Macrovision, or has an anti-Macrovision feature to it.

·
Registered
22,829 Posts
VCR's are hit or miss when it comes to using them as an RF modulator for DVD players.

Usually, newer VCR's are Macrovision enabled and will not work. I was lucky with my son's setup and my neighbor's. But... all I can say is that if the VCR will not work, you'll have to purchase an external modulator. They can be purchased at Best Buy, Circuit City and/or Radio Shack (~$25).

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Getting back to the original post, instead of mickey-mousing with peripheral equipment to allow her old TV to work in the new millennium, why not get the lady a NEW 27" TV for the holidays? There are plenty of Asian imports now with both composite and S-Video inputs that will beat the pants of her old RCA PQ-wise. Often under $200.00 if you watch for sales.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.