AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a bit of difficulty getting my X1 to work with my new VGA to component breakout cable. I ordered (2) pccables.com part #02803, which came recommended from several people from various forums.

They both arrived yesterday, but to my dismay, I have had no luck getting either of these to work. I've tried multiple sources, and tested all of the pins / connectors for continuity. The only thing I am unable to test these with is an alternate display device.

The projector simply never detects the signal from my HD box, or my DVD player. A computer connected through the vga input works fine.

I'm out of ideas... anyone lend a hand?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
From the X1 faq i see that the VGA breakout only accepts progressive signal and the svideo breakout is for interlaced. not sure what your sources are but that may be related.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Make sure your HD box is outputing 480p or 720p not 1080i. Also make sure that your progressive scan dvd player is set to output progressive scan ;) I don't think the X1 has any specific setting to switch between VGA and component input, I believe it does it automatically.

Russ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

maxx:

Quite honestly, I went with the vga breakout instead of the svideo because I had seen a buddy's working set up using this, and it worked great. He didn't really know what to tell me either.

lojones:

Thank you, this is helpful. I missed the part about the interlaced vs. progressive scan differences between the 2 inputs.

russ:

I'll make sure the HD unit is not putting out 1080i, and will double check to ensure the dvd player is outputting progressive.

Thank you all again, I'd be lost without this forum!

Cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was under the impression the VGA to component breakout cable could only be used at the X1 input end, not both ends. The Svideo to component adapter is the same due to wiring in the X1.

Also 1080i is fine, into the VGA, either direct or via the component breakout cable according to the X1 handbook.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Could someone confirm the vga to component won't accept interlaced, I

just bought and x1 and was looking a purchasing this cable, otherwise

i will need the s-video to component.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
VGA input will only accept 720p and 1080i direct, or, 480p via component to Vesa adapter (page 8 X1 handbook)

Also Faroudja DCDi video processing technology is not available via the VGA input.

Edit: My DVD player can output i or p and I found that 560i (Pal) via component to Svideo gave a better picture than 560p via VGA.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

My panasonic rv-31 is non progressive so that solves that issue, but

it does have the Faroudja chip, although this shouldn't be an issue.

Watched Nemo and a hockey game over the weekend using s-video and picture

was great.

Just wondering if there is any advantage to purchasing s-video to component

adapter?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sam,

I am feeding my DVD via the component to Svideo adapter with a 20ft cable run and it looks great.

You say your svideo feed is great, so I would stay with that.

I was feeding SDTV via Svideo and was disappointed. I now feed 1080i HDTV via VGA and it is sensational.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.