AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading this forum for a while now and can't find an exact answer to this question. Im getting one of these tvs next week and I know it has a DB15 vga input but it says in the user manual never to be used to connect to a computer, yet I see some people hook their htpc up this way. Is pioneer just saying never to use it this way to prevent stupid people from ruining the tv or can it really not be done?

·
Registered
271 Posts
They're trying to prevent the user from damaging the phosphors with static images at high contrast. Also, on some sets, you are still getting overscan on the VGA input - computers need underscan.

HTPC folks steer around these issues by keeping the contrast down, and defining custom video resolutions that letterbox/pillarbox the PC image to regain underscan

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think there is a little more to it as well. If you drive the TV (BTW I have a Pioneer SD532HD5 - a similar but older model) with a timing that is not the same as 480p or 1080i (ATSC standard timings) you could easily ruin the TV as it chokes trying to sync to a non-syncable signal. They are making this warning to protect you from ruining your investment.

Having said that you can easily utilize your tv with the computer driving it. Here are the do's and don'ts:

1 Use 640x480 @60hz for the first time you try to hook up your TV. This is a standard vesa vga mode that will work with the TV. A standard 15 pin computer monitor cable will work just fine.

2. If you want to experment with other resolutions then you should read the forum FAQ. You should never adjust resolutions/modes with your TV as the monitor. Use a standard multiscan computer moniter to set up the timings and then switch between the monitor and your tv to test any experimental resolutions with your tv.

3. If you do not see a stable picture right away when testing new resolutions with the TV then unplug the cable immediately. Debug the problem before trying again.

You should have no problems getting a modern PC to work with your TV. Again read the FAQ at the top of the forum page.

Enjoy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.