AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if there is any solution to the fact using vga cable doesn't take all the space on the screen. It gives me about an inch on top and two on the sides where the screen is not used. Does a dvi input do better? I am using the pc mode and tried the different settings on the set and no joy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.. don't get me wrong the image is outstanding and will probably build an htpc to go with the 507 but will probably use a video card with dvi output.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I am using the native resolution of the 507. I believe it is 1280 by 720 or something like that. I am outputting with a gateway P4 2 gig processor with 512 of ram. The gateway has a radeon video card in it. I mean it looks good and everything just wondering if I can get it stretched to the sides like my dvds from my dvd player playing widescreen mode? I also kinda want to tweak this so I will have some understanding when I build the dedicated HTPC. Thanks

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
PC wide will leave a border around the screen and TV wide will have overscan and you will not be able to see the edges. I cannot remember if it was the same situation on DVI since I changed my PC to VGA and my STB resides on DVI nowadays.

Jim

·
Registered
136 Posts
Crispo,

How many colors 65537, 16.7M, other are you sending to the TV via the video card? ie what color depth are you using? (16bit, 24 bit, 32 bits per pixel ...) It should be in the Settings tab for the Monitor setup.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfrjim
I cannot remember if it was the same situation on DVI since I changed my PC to VGA and my STB resides on DVI nowadays.
DVI is the same - ie leaves a black border around the image on all 4 sides.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a modern laptop with a radeon video card I am sending 16.7 million colors, or the highest color out with the card....there is a border around the screen. Since imagegeek is seeing the same thing I am kind of discouraged about the idea of an htpc leaving me this border.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Crispo,

I can ignore the border - sort of. But the question I have (and this annoys me too) is this: If I am sending a true 1280x720 pixel image through the DVI port and the HLM507W is giving me a black border Around my image then does this TI DMD chip have a pixel density that is Greater than 1280x720? Or is it just squeezing our screen image. If the latter is true then I am really pissed off. And I want to 'fix' it.

The attached file should help figure this out. I don't remember who created this file and I have not had a chance to put it up on the screen yet... -

Dan

1280_720.zip 7.5556640625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just receive my 437 yesterday. I have a Dish 6000 HD reciever with OTA adapter and the receiver has component and RGB output. I hooked them both up and tried both the component and RGB from the Dish 6000. When I first switch to the RGB I too had the border. I then pressed the aspec button of 437 remote and when it switched to TV wide the border went away.

Ray

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Yeah, I've seen a couple of computers hooked to a couple of 507's now and there is no border in TV Wide. There is a bit of overscan in fact.

One neat thing we determined on PhilB's 507 was that he was getting 1:1 pixel mapping. That is the overscan is "physical" and each and every pixel from his PC was mapping to an individual pixel/mirror on the DMD.

There is a 1280x720P test image floating around (from Tivolicios I believe) that has a 1 pixel checkerboard pattern. Each and ever checkerboard square gets one and only one pixel on the display.

Very cool.

Ken

·
Registered
179 Posts
vfrjim's got it right. I am running my desktop at 1280x720. If you are hooked in through vga, you get the choice of wide pc or wide tv aspect modes (switch just by hitting the "aspect" button on your remote). According to the manual, wide pc forces your desktop to 92% of its actual size. I guess they did this to ensure that you could always see your task bars, etc. at various resolutions and they probably did not anticipate that many could run their desktop at 1280x720. If you hit wide tv, you do get overscan which cramps taskbars. However, if you play a dvd through your p.c. and hit wide tv mode, you lose very little info. I am curious about whether you can dig into the service menu to alter the setting of wide pc mode. It would be nice if you could tweak it to between 92 and 100 % to get your desktop to fit perfectly. One would assume that 100% on a 1280x720 resolution desktop would be a perfect match, but that's in a perfect world.

-Kilroy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ken,

I just posted Tivolicious's image. I had forgotten who had generated it - else I'd have posted the link.

So all I need to do is hit the aspect button...Good.

OK so then back to colorspace. How many colors have you been able to send to this screen in DVI or RGB?

Dan

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm running 32 bit color at 1280x720 with the vga connection. I have an old Hercules Prophet 3d Geforce 256 DDR card. 1280x720 is natively supported by this card, at least with the latest nvidia detonator drivers. www.nvidia.com for anyone needing a link.

-Kilroy

·
Registered
136 Posts
OK Kilroy,

thanks.

Then I need to upgrade my crappy old ATI driver. Failing that I'll buy a new card. Well maybe I'll buy the card anyway...

Dan

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do the numbers stand for in the corner of the test image? Is this just to see how much of the screen is getting cropped by going to wide screen? Thanks for the input here..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kenland is it better then to use vga output with 32 bit color? Am I getting that kind of resolution with vga vs. dvi ? Seems it would be the other way around but you are the expert....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm getting better resolution out of TV wide setting over PC wide. I'm using VGA input + powerstrip+1280*720. When displaying this text, it is crisp and very clear on TV wide but smeared on PC wide. PC wide is not bad, but TV wide is incredible.

Can anyone else confirm this?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rocketcityhog
I'm getting better resolution out of TV wide setting over PC wide. I'm using VGA input + powerstrip+1280*720. When displaying this text, it is crisp and very clear on TV wide but smeared on PC wide. PC wide is not bad, but TV wide is incredible.

Can anyone else confirm this?
Yes, of course this is true. I'm not why this thread seems to have so many questions when the answers are available in other threads.

The 507's/437's have overscanned 1:1 pixel screens - meaning that when you send it a signal which occupies ALL of the pixels you won't see the "edges" as they are displayed off your actual visible screen.

Thats a real pain, but there was a thread (Franks I think on connecting his STB to the samsung) discussing this problem and someone talked about why thats necessary given the way todays TV signals are recorded and sent. In a purely digital environment it wouldn't be necessary but because the same signals need to be shown on analog sets the signals get a "safe" area around to cope with differing overscans on different sets.

In any event, when you switch to PC wide the set is actually downsampling the screen, effectively remapping all your 1280x720 pixels to something smaller - which is why text looks crappy in that mode and you should stick to TV wide (albeit with a few lost edges, 1/2 a task bar etc).

In a perfect world you would be able to adjust the amount of overscan on the HLMs but I'm not sure we've discovered how to do that (or if its possible).

Jonathan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.