AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been using my HTPC with a DVI to HDMI cable into my Sony HDTV for a long time with no issues. Well, because I only have one HDMI input, I decided to move the HTPC to the VGA input on my tv.

The tv is a 720p tv and I am here to tell you, it does not like pc resolutions. I am stumped. No matter what resolution I set, it will not act right. If I do 1280 x 720 it pushes the screen to the center of the tv and has huge black bars around it and is off centered. This is more than underscan.

Has anyone else has similar experiences? If so, do you have any ideas for me to fix this?

·
Registered
885 Posts
If your graphics card is an ATI model, open the Catalyst Control Center, go to Monitor Properties then the Adjustments tab. There you can move the image around or stretch it. You can tweak hsync and vsync on the same tab. When things are looking good, save the settings to a profile that you can recall any time.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Just because it's a 720p tv doesn't mean that it will accept 1280x720 @ 60 hz over vga - check your manual to see what resolutions are supported on that input and start from there. (Very common-especially from Sony-to limit the resolution to 640x480 over vga)

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Very few if any 720p HDTVs today have a native resolution of 1280x720, most LCD models actually have a native resolution of 1366x768. Plasma 720p HDTV models have a native resoluiton of either 1366x768 or 1024x768.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt /forum/post/17050127

Walford - RTPV
It's a three-chip lycos set

i have sony 3 lcd model, no vga, i use hdmi. i have to overscan using a combination of the driver software and the tv zoom options. it looks terrible on the desktop but you cant notice when in MCE.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmph. I checked the manual and it doesn;t say anything about accepted resolutions for the PC input (none that I could find anyway. Its a KDF-E50A10 for those playing at home. Andyway I tried all of those other resolutions and it just ain't goin. And the crazy thing is, that even if I monkey with the tv stretch and everything else and get it perfect, how can I trust that I am getting decent resolution?

Bizarre I tell ya.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphyne /forum/post/17050272

Hmmph. I checked the manual and it doesn;t say anything about accepted resolutions for the PC input (none that I could find anyway. Its a KDF-E50A10 for those playing at home. Andyway I tried all of those other resolutions and it just ain't goin. And the crazy thing is, that even if I monkey with the tv stretch and everything else and get it perfect, how can I trust that I am getting decent resolution?

Bizarre I tell ya.

i have the kdf-50e2000, almost similar tv.

the native resolution is 1280x768. but i use 1268X720 @ 60hz.

you are going to have to overscan.

what kind of video card do you have?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphyne /forum/post/17050272

Bizarre I tell ya.

Your TV has a native resolution of 1280x720.

If you are trying to use it as a PC monitor and not just as a TV then it may be overscanning the standard 1280x720 (720P) output you are sending it and you can tell if thiis happening if you can't see the PC desktop taskbar. If this is the case you have to underscan the output to it using your graphics card drivers. This will cause small font text in PC applications to be blurry.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17050340

Your TV has a native resolution of 1280x720.

If you are trying to use it as a PC monitor and not just as a TV then it may be overscanning the standard 1280x720 (720P) output you are sending it and you can tell if thiis happening if you can't see the PC desktop taskbar. If this is the case you have to underscan the output to it using your graphics card drivers. This will cause small font text in PC applications to be blurry.

according to your manual, your tv has a native resolution of 1280X768 @ 60hz.

in any case, set all your zooms to normal, the tv doesnt support normal mode in when a pc is connected, it will go to zoom or wide zoom. leave it be, try to adjust the picture size if your video card has a slider bar to make the screen smaller ( or bigger if it too small) you should be able to do this in small increments.

in any case you are going to have to live with some amount of overscan.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Mike,

You are confusing overscan which is what happens when a TV zooms in about 10% of the input it is receiving in order to emulate a standard CRT TV whose image shrunk when it heated up, with Overscan compensation which shrinks the output from your PC by underscanning(Zooming Out) the output by sending an image to the TV with black borders on the edges.

Current Nvidia and ATI drivers both provide the ability to underscan the output by applying overscan compensation.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I will play with it. However my other solution would be to move my Lynksys MC extender to the living room (where the troubling tv is) and use the PS3 for games and blue ray and the Lynksys for the dvr functions. I can use my one HDMI for the PS3 and component for the lynksys.

This will require me to have my HTPC in my bedroom where I can finally OC my Q6600 and do some other fun stuff.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
 Here is the manual for your tv and it does have several sections that talk about connecting a PC as well as supported resolutions-

You might check the index and then read the relevant as it looked like it dealt with the issues you're facing

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The link is broken. However, I did download the manual for my tv from sony's website. And it never really addresses the resoluations for PC. I just says you can use it as a PC monitor.

I think you are right though. I think the tv is limiting the PC input resolution. I have a compnent dongle for my HTPC. Maybe I'll try that.

BTW I have a Gigabyte 3870 videa card.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphyne /forum/post/17052768

The link is broken. However, I did download the manual for my tv from sony's website. And it never really addresses the resoluations for PC. I just says you can use it as a PC monitor.

I think you are right though. I think the tv is limiting the PC input resolution. I have a compnent dongle for my HTPC. Maybe I'll try that.

BTW I have a Gigabyte 3870 videa card.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDFE42-50A10.pdf

page 82.

connecting the pc is page 40.

i'd advise against component for hdcp reasons...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts