AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the NeuNeo HVD2085 upscaling DVD player. I have a Panny TH-42PHD7UY. It has a VGA input on it. The NeuNeo has a VGA output. From what I have read from the specs, the Panny supports 1080p, which the DVD player is able to output.

Question is, what can I expect from the picture if I am to hook up the VGA to VGA? Do I need any special converters or just a 15 pin to 15 pin VGA cable? Will the picture be comparable to the 1080p (or 1080i) that the DVD player ouputs via component?

Please advise.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
NeuNeo only outputs standard computer resolutions on the VGA port. 1080p is only available through the component output. What you need to do is use the component out of the NeuNeo and go through a component to RGB transcoder. Good choices are Petr's ( http://www.hdconnection.com/Products.htm ) or Mike Parker's MP-5 ( http://wisdom-technologies.com/ ). You can get info on these by searching for "Petr" or "MP-5" in the CRT projector forum.

Your other option once they upgrade the firmware to do 1080p out the HDMI port is to use a DVI to VGA transcoder such as the dtrovision DC-DA1 ( http://www.dtrovision.com/dcda1.htm ) available from digital connection.

Dave

·
23,031 Posts
The big question is will the PQ be that much better scaling a 720x480 DVD to 1080p and then downscaling to 1024x768 (if it's the "HD" plasma) or 854x480 (if it's the ED plasma) than if you sent 480p to the plasma and let it scale.

larry

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Good point. I doubt it especially with the low end scaling chips in the NeuNeo and others in this price range. I would just send 480p component to the plasma and see what I get.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Wow has anybody tried any of those dvi/hdmi to vga converters. I was told it was impossible to convert the signals because vga is analog and hdmi/dvi are digital.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi
Wow has anybody tried any of those dvi/hdmi to vga converters. I was told it was impossible to convert the signals because vga is analog and hdmi/dvi are digital.
I've got the dtrovision. Works pretty well. But to be honest, if here are two video chains that cost about the same:

1) dtrovision -> display

2) Lumagen Vision -> display

The lumagen Vision (old version) can be had for less than $400 or about the price of the dtrovision. I've tried a Sony 975, Panny S97, Oppo, and a couple other players in both configurations. In almost every case, option 2 gave a better picture than option 1 (with the Oppo, option 1 was better because the component out is so bad--but not good enough that I would every want an Oppo) because the SI504 chip is better for film than any scaling in any player under $500.

Off all the configs, S97 through the old Lumagen was the PQ winner.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.