AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any adverse affect to video when using a DVI to VGA adapter cable?

Is it better to use a DVI out on an ATI Radeon or the VGA out?

Is it better to use a DVI in or a VGA in on a monitor, such as the Pioneer 503 cmx?

Another way of asking is should you just do a DVI to DVI connection or VGA to VGA connection and if so, which is better? Is there a difference at all?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
DVI->DVI in almost all cases would be better as there is no extra A/D conversion and the transmission is much more pristine.

Past that, I don't think it matters. Your video card isn't converted DVI -> VGA when you use that port, rather it is more like passing VGA through it as newer DVI ports can support both analog and digital out.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brain melting....ok, if I understand you correctly if I can have a direct DVI to DVI connection, that's ideal.

However, if I'm using a VGA out from the video card with an adapter or if I'm using the DVI out with an adapter, it doesn't really matter at that level.

The input devices feeding the HTPC are an SDI modded DVD player and what will be an SDI modded DirecTivo coming into an SDI Silk 100 card. Does that make any difference at all?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Hehe sorry about the brain melt.

You've got the idea

1. DVI to DVI

2. Everything else with DVI->VGA or VGA only

3. crappy standard definition (480i)analog connections

SDI for DVD, DSS and TiVo should be VERY nice! Let everyone know how it turns out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.