AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get the Sony to work on my Pro 510 using the VGA out. It doesn't work. Whatever output the Sony has it won't sync up with the pioneer. I eiher get a black screen or Horz. lines and it almost hangs the tv completely up. The input button didn't want to respond on the tv once or twice. If I do get a picture it's twisted and then goes out of Horz. lock.

Yea, it's works on component. But why don't it work on the VGA? I've read a few posts that people are using the VGA on other type of sets that has VGA inputs. The RCA works!

I just got the HD-100 yesterday, and yea, the fan is louder than the RCA I had. I have good hearing and I have no problem hearing no matter where I am in the room if the volume is low on the TV. I could live with that I guess.

I don't like the way the regular pictures on Directv look though going through Component. I have a standard huges receiver also hooked up and the artifacts are much worse on the Sony with component. Actually the tv needs to be adjusted totally different from HD to the regular directv channesl. Doing an a/b with my regular Hughes with s-video out and component on the Sony, while some might call the picture clearer, I just see the artifacts as much worse.

Anyway the fact is I keeping the Hughes receiver for regular directv channels so I can use the Replay easier, and I find it easier to have two receivers anyway, since the Sony will output only one video at at time.

I already had a good VGA cable that I use with a dtc-100 I had a few months ago, and since I really only wanted to use the Sony for HD, I preferred using the VGA out. I don't see the point of putting it on the receiver it if it's not stardard. Nothing seems to be compatable! I haven't call Sony, I'm sure that is a waste of time to do so.

So does anyone know why the Sony won't sync with a Pioneer set on VGA out. I think I might just send the Sony back and see how cheap I can pick up a DTC-100 and see what comes out later. Maybe something that will record HD might actually make it someday.

·
Registered
33,440 Posts
I really believe the artifacts you are seeing are entirely the fault of DTV. It has been very well documented that as the small dish services keep expanding their channel line-up, compression keeps increasing along with the artifacts. I haven't heard that one box vs. another minimizes or exacerbates this compression problem. You'll note that some channels look fairly good and others terrible. This is simply the amount of compression that DTV is applying to that channel at that time.

I have to agree about the VGA output issue. I tried hooking the Sony up to my Zenith via the VGA connectors and got an off-centered picture that was too narrow. I am convinced that Sony will have to address this in the same way that RCA did. If you guys remember, RCA had exactly the same problem with many TVs not synching or displaying a picture with obvious timing issues. They than downloaded additional retrace timing selections that solved many (but not all) of these issues. Sony, are you listening??

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.