AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me between the VGA and the RGB hook-up which, if either, is better quality?

I'm going to hook-up an iScan to my WD5UY. It has VGA output (the 15 pin connector). My WD5UY has an input that is a 15 pin (which I call the VGA), RGB (the 5 wires), and Component (the 3 wires).

I don't know which to use. I see where Better Cables sells both (the 15 pin to 15 pin as well as the 15 pin to 5 RGB, I guess I just use 3 of them for component). I've read where the WD5UY has a problem with the VGA input... Is this true?

I just don't know which cable to order. Please help!

Thanks,

Bill Wolfe

·
Registered
300 Posts
wolfewl,

I have the Panny 42PWD5UY and I use the 15 pin RGB/PC connecter, and it works great. It delivers a better picture from my Zeneth 520 STB than the component connections. Besides that, it leaves the components open for other devices (DVD). If you use the 15 pin RGB/PC connector, you cannot adjust color or tint on the Panny, But I haven't seen that as a problem.

Chucko

·
Registered
698 Posts
chucko,

can you still control the aspect?Let me get this right, One side is rgb which goes to your zenith and the other 15 pin pc to the panny.Is this correct? thanks bm

·
Registered
300 Posts
Both connectors are 15 pin RGB connectors. If you don't have such a connector on your STB, I believe you can buy a converter, or even 5 component to 15 pin RGB cable. You lose the Just aspect control on the Panny, but you lose that anyway, unless you are feeding it a 480i signal via the svideo connector. I use the panorama mode with the output set to 1080i on my STB for non HD signals, and the full mode on my Panny.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chucko
Both connectors are 15 pin RGB connectors. If you don't have such a connector on your STB, I believe you can buy a converter, or even 5 component to 15 pin RGB cable. You lose the Just aspect control on the Panny, but you lose that anyway, unless you are feeding it a 480i signal via the svideo connector. I use the panorama mode with the output set to 1080i on my STB for non HD signals, and the full mode on my Panny.
Chucko - I just purchased a Panny 42PWD5UY and Sony H200 STB (both on order). I am trying to run the correct type of cables in my wall before my house gets sheetrocked. You mentioned the VGA-VGA idea which sounds good (assuming I can buy a high great monitor cable to handle it). But your statement on losing the aspect ratio on anything but Svideo went over my head...can you help explain that.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chucko,

Thanks for the help! Get me straight on one thing though...

On the WD5UY I have a 15 pin connection I call the VGA or PC. I also have 5 BNC inputs I call RGB, 3 of which I am using now from my DVD which I call Component.

You say that you get better quality from the 15 pin VGA/PC input opposed to using a PC to RGB (I have seen some called component break out cables)? I use justified mode when viewing DirecTV programing. The only output the iScan has is the 15 pin VGA/PC output. Am I going to lose justified mode if I use the 15 pin inputs on the WD5UY? I use the component (3 BNC) input now and still have justified mode!?!?

I guess what I really want to know is if there is a notable difference in PQ comparing the Component to the 15 pin VGA/PC. I really like the justified mode, but, all of this is due to me trying to improve my PQ from my STB.

Bill

·
Registered
300 Posts
Chucko - I just purchased a Panny 42PWD5UY and Sony H200 STB (both on order). I am trying to run the correct type of cables in my wall before my house gets sheetrocked. You mentioned the VGA-VGA idea which sounds good (assuming I can buy a high great monitor cable to handle it). But your statement on losing the aspect ratio on anything but Svideo went over my head...can you help explain that.

Thanks

Mark

I didn't mean to imply that you lose all aspect ratio control in the plasma if you use the RGB/PC (15 pin) input. You do lose the "just" aspect ratio if you use this connector on the plasma. You still have most, if not all of the other aspect ratios available. I have my STB set to always output 1080I to the plasma, with the STB set to "panorama" (pretty much the same as "just" on the plasma, if not better). Then with the plasmas aspect ratio set to "full", the sreen display is always 16:9. If you are actually feeding the display a HD signal, it will be 16:9, and the STB won't be applying any aspect ratio.

In any event, I prefer the quality of this connection on the Panny to the quality of the component connection.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Even if you don't use the VGA input on the Plasma for video, I would still install the VGA cable inside the wall just in case you decide you want to hook-up a computer sometime in the near future.

Dave

·
Registered
300 Posts
On the WD5UY I have a 15 pin connection I call the VGA or PC. I also have 5 BNC inputs I call RGB, 3 of which I am using now from my DVD which I call Component.

The BNC (or RCA on some models) connectors you refer to are either used as component (only 3 are used) or RGB (all 5 are used). You make the selection of how you want to use these connectors in the Pannys setup menus. If you have a component, such as a STB that doesn't have a 15 pin RGB connector, but does have the 5 "component" connections, you might want to run 5 cables to these connectors (a lot of usually large cables) for an "RGB" connection. Even in that case, I would use a breakout cable to connect these 5 connectors to the 1 15 pin connector, leaving the component connectors (3 of them) open for something like a DVD.

Since you have a Sony 200 (same thing as a Zenith 520), just connect the 15 pin RGB/PC output & input (1 cable), and your DVD to the component (3 cables) connections. You will need to set the switch on the back of the STB to the right, to select RGB output, as opposed to component output. Some people say that any 15 pin VGA cable will do, but I chose a "silver serpent" cable from Better Cables, for around $90. I really don't know if cheaper cables would work just as well, I just wanted to avoid a problem if could.

Chucko

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.