AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Aten VS-132 for about $70 - it's a 1-input/2-output splitter.

I get ghosting - I know that's nothing new - but the weird thing is I only get ghosting on the primary display when I plug the cable for the secondary display into the splitter - it doesnt seem to matter whether or not the secondary cable is also plugged into my projector. Why should I be getting ghosting only when the second cable is plugged in?

I'm running at [email protected] - which I know is high but the specs say it can support [email protected] Hz - bandwidth is 350Hz on this baby.

I searched the site but I couldnt find anything on this. If anyone's interested I'm going to call Aten tomorrow and see if they can help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have also bought a VGA splitter and I have the same problem : the reply to your question is that the ghosting is due to the signal that "bounces" back from the end of the unplugged side of the splitter :

If you plug nothing in it, it bouces only at the end of the splitter, very close to the PC, and so the ghosting is very "near" to the original signal, because it has bounced fast. Then it merges with the other signal and you get an almost normal image.

If you plug a long cable on the splitter, and you DO NOT attach it to the projector, the trip to the end of the cable takes much longer, so the ghosting is more visible.

And if you plug the end of the cable in the projector, the projector do its works : it "sucks" the signal, and avoids the rebound of the signal.

So you should get almost no ghosting, but the intensity of the signal is divided in 2 !!!

So what I will do is : BUY A MANUAL VGA SWITCH BOX !!!

You should do so also...

CU.

Philip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried plugging the cable into the projector - nothing changed I still get the ghosting.

The store I bought the splitter from told me, Aten confirmed it and IBM seconded the confirmation that my 21" IBM monitor and all 21" monitors have problems with splitters - because of their high throughput - while I always thought throughput was only affected by resolution, color-depth and refresh rate I've been told I was wrong 3 times today so I'm starting to believe I am.

So will a manual switchbox work? I wouldnt mind that at all - because really, aside from an $800 professional-grade splitter I dont have any other option.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Another option is to get a dual head video card (

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been duped once already - I spent about a week trying to set my Geforce2 MX400 up properly - couldnt do it. Then I tried to use window's built in dual-monitor support which according to Nvidia's reference manual should work with my card - the option to select it wouldn't even appear and the tech support guys weren't at all helpful. This hardware solution was my last resort.

On the upside, the card I have - Visiontek's Xstacy Everything - lets me schedule digital recording and comes with a pretty cool remote. It was a real pain to get working though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand why splitter cables wont work - V=IR so varying the resistance has to affect either voltage or current - but can someone explain to me why a manual switch wont work? Do metal contacts really introduce so much more resistance than a continuous wire?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.