AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon have two VGA input sources for my Panny 42: PC and HDTV. Can I use a cheap VGA switch made for computers for this purpose?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to go all AOL on this thread, but 'me too'.

I've just taken delivery of a Panasonic plasma and will shortly have 2 VGA sources I need to switch between. I hit upon the same idea as Marius but I wondered if there's a better way to do it, maybe something with a remote control? Anyone know?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi,

two inputs is something that I've been asked about with the RGB to Plasma VGA product - if you've already using all the other inputs, and you're using VGA 15pin D-type, how do you connect a PC too.

There's two solutions, neither of them I've tried (sorry!).

1. Simple switch box, mechanical and you've got to get up to change over. This solution will without any doubt.

2. KVM switch, with automatic switch over. This is intended for server farms. Should be a very neat solution, but autoswitching may not work on the Plasma VGA side as it's a lower frequency that PC monitors.

I'm offering these as two solutions, while I feel both will work, I can not say for certain. Both should be available from Dabs and Simply as well as other good retailers.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.
J.S. Technology

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
for the second device, how about a simple breakout cable: 15 pin D sub-miniature (VGA) on one end and whatever your plas will accept on its second rgb input (RCA or BNC).

for a backwards (for your context) example, my zenith stb outputs HD as component (not rgb) via three RCA connectors. My plasma Input 1 can be set to rgb or component and is a 15 pin D connector. I use a five wire breakout cable, capable of component (only the red, blue and green leads are used: my situation), or RGBHV (all five leads ore used) the other end has the D-connector and plugs into the plas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, indeed the RGB to Plasma VGA device can go into the 15-Pin VGA connector or to the five RGBHV inputs via Phono or BNC. Several people use two Plasma VGA units.

Some use one Plasma VGA device for Sky and keep the RGBHV input free for progressive DVD players though.

But if you want to keep your PC connected, and you've got Sky and DVD player already connected, then you need something that will switch VGA.

Getting back to the message that started this thread, you've got a PC and HDPC and need to switch between inputs. Search your local PC store for a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) devices or AV Science (as Joe pointed out).

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.