Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Can anyone suggest a VGA switch that would allow me to connect my HTPC & Expressvu 6000 to my projector via the VGA port? I'm more concerned with quality than price.....although I love a bargain:)

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
923 Posts
The new Belkin E-Series KVM switched really surprised me with their quality. 2 port version retails at $80 (4 port for only $100), and the unit allows for external power for video only switching. I'm going to guess its not the best quality in, but certainly beats every other switch of this sort I've ever used. This would likely be that bargain you mentioned so you may want to check it out.

Kensai

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want quality look at the Altinex or extron Website. THe offer 350MHz switches of similar quality (which is topquality) Altinex DA1916sx is the type to look for

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
What about using a capture card on your HTPC and feed the Expressvu 6000 to it, then use Dscaler to improve the image. I have heard that feeding a DVD player (for video sources) to an HTPC and using Dscaler for scaling purposes, is still the best way to view video sources (software players cannot handle it very well apparently).

I know, I know... is not really a video switcher, but then again, you wouldn't need one if you did it this way....;)

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
If it's quality you're after, then the best switcher for your purpose is this series from Extron.

I used the 2:1 version to do exactly what you're trying to do: Switch between a BEV6000 and HTPC. Bought a couple of 3' VGA to VGA cables from www.avcable.com as well to make the final connections.... the other end of the switcher drives a 32' bettercables.com VGA to 5BNC cable.

Extron's not cheap (the 2:1 switcher's around $500USD I think), but there's nothing better.

Kal

·
Registered
5,132 Posts

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
They may indicate 400Mhz bandwidth, but they do so without any sort of signal drop making it a useless specification I'm afraid.

Extron gives the information on their spec sheet:

Bandwidth .................................... 350 MHz (-3dB)

Crosstalk ....................................... -68dB @ 10 MHz, -39dB at 100 MHz

Bandwidth *is* usually measured at the -3dB dropoff points, but it should be stated in the specs. As well, there are other important factors to look at. As we all know, specs aren't everything. If we only looked at specs, then that $100 Sony receiver would sound better then the $10000 Krell integrated amp.

Kal

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I picked up a Kramer VP-211 from markertek.com for $126. It has bandwidth of 517Mhz (-3db) according to the manufacturer, and it seemed to offer the most bang for the buck compared to some of the other more expensive items.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This might be something else to consider:

It was important for me to have a vga switch that is IR controlled.

I use the Belkin Omnicube. Very pleased with the results. Remotely controlled with my Pronto remote, which learned the keyboard sequence for selecting sources. (it's an IR keyboard)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fluf
This might be something else to consider:

It was important for me to have a vga switch that is IR controlled.

I use the Belkin Omnicube. Very pleased with the results. Remotely controlled with my Pronto remote, which learned the keyboard sequence for selecting sources. (it's an IR keyboard)
fluf,

I currently use a powered vga switch but you have to push a button on it to switch sources.

I have been looking for a long time for an IR controlled switch and I just spotted your post.

I searched Belkin's website but can not find the Omnicube.

Can you give me a link please?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
923 Posts
I think he means he hooked the receiver of an IR keyboard into a normal, old style KVM switch and uses the keyboard as a remote for it. Most KVM switches have keyboard shortcuts that allow the switch to be operated "remotely", but using an IR keyboard makes it really "remote".

Kensai

·
Registered
100 Posts
For a basic 2x1 switch, I second Jeff Kohn's recommendation of the Kramer VP-211 from MarkerTek. (I actually picked up the VP-201, since I'm running a single source to two displays and the auto-switching wouldn't work in that case.) I haven't noticed any picture degradation using the switch, and I've run resolutions up to 1920x1080p, though my usual resolution is 1280x720p.

--Matthew

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would second (third?) the Belkin E or SOHO series recommendation. I am very pleased with the quality up to very high resolutions. These are some of the best KVM switches I've used, and certainly great value.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Joe,

Looks like Belkin no longer sells the OmniCUBE series. I would look into the Omniview E series. I looked at the E-series manual and confirmed it also has the keyboard shortcut for switching sources.

Kensai's post does a good job describing what I'm doing with the Belkin KVM switch and IR control. I have an IR keyboard, this means I can control the Belkin via IR keyboard and Pronto remote (pronto learned the keyboard sequence).

hope that helps!

fluf

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q

fluf,

I currently use a powered vga switch but you have to push a button on it to switch sources.

I have been looking for a long time for an IR controlled switch and I just spotted your post.

I searched Belkin's website but can not find the Omnicube.

Can you give me a link please?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
 http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...s/F1DB104P.pdf is the manual for the 4->1, $55 Omniview E Series VGA switcher that I mentioned. For video only switching, you will need 9v AC adapter with 600 mA current to power this switcher. Normally it uses P/S2 port for power draw. I called tech. support at Belkin to see how the 400 Mhz video bandwidth was measured but they did not know as it's not stated in the PDF manual. But they do say it'll switch perfect video up to 2048X1536X85 Hz which includes HDTV at 1920X1080X60 Hz. Good enough for me :D
http://images.belkin.com/F1DB104P/FUL1_F1DB104P.jpg

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I have two Kramer switches: a VP-201 and a VP-41. I am extremely pleased with both. The price was also much better than Extron.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I like the new Belkin Omniview SOHO series. I have the 4 port with USB and audio. 400 MHz bandwidth!!!! (I don't use the audio

Just remember to use good cables.

Bert

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alec
I would second (third?) the Belkin E or SOHO series recommendation. I am very pleased with the quality up to very high resolutions. These are some of the best KVM switches I've used, and certainly great value.
I picked up the Belkin Omniview E series VGA switch to replace the cheapie KVM switch that I was using.

It did not have the 9v PS but the one from my cheapie swich did so I am using it.

Simple Question:

Are the LED's supposed to blink when the port is activated?

I want to make sure I have this thing hooked up correctly.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
702 Posts
On my belkin 4 port omnicube , the LEDs only blink when the ps2 port isn't connected on that port and that port is active. (Thus my mac blinks when active and so does the port that isn't being used)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.