AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an adapter that will convert the output of my RCA DTC-100, which is VGA, to 1394 so I can record HDTV OTA with the JVC 30000? Is there any other work-a-round that will allow the recording of HDTV OTA to the JVC?

Thank you,

Ben Hardy

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Quote:
so I can record HDTV OTA with the JVC 30000?
Yes. This has been out for some time but I just bought one here. It is a board from 169Time called the HDVR100-2 that gets installed inside the DTC-100. It gets it's signal from 34 taps on the DTC-100 main board rather than from the VGA. Going from the VGA out to 1394 is technically possible but a really round about way, like going from New Jersey to New York by way of China.

I'm surprised that you haven't read about it and most of the posts to this section seem to be discussing it.

Recording HDTV OTA is the only HDTV it is capable of recording right now but the company has a beta test currently running where they are recording channel 199 HDTV AKA HDNet. Not sure when that addition will be commercially available.

The 169Time product has two 1394 firewire ports and will work with all three HD DVHS VCR's. Go to www.169Time.com for more info.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Don

I've been away from the forum for some time, just finishing my busiest season. The last time I read about 169Time product, everyone was trying to recover their money for a vaporware item, or so it seems. Let me ask if you installed the board yourself or must the DTC-100 be sent to them. If so, how long did you have to wait.

Many thanks for this information,

Ben

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Ben-

I did the self install. I ordered the board on a Monday and received it on Wednesday as promised, ie shipped the same day.

I would only recommend you do the self install if you are skilled with micro soldering ability and tools. Also, there is some drilling of the chassis that requires some precision location of the holes and being that the metal is steel sheet it bends easily. I had to fabricate a jig to prevent the metal from bending under the drill bit pressure and since I took too big of steps to go from pilot holes to spec size, I had to put the DTC-100 on the milling machine and us an end mill to de bur the holes. I should have drilled the holes larger in very small increments which prevents burrs but that's for next time. For soldering, I used two heat controlled low wattage soldering stations with sharp pencil points. Plus, I used triple magnifying head gear to see the tiny soldering pads. This is NOT like building your own PC or changing a car battery. LOL

169Time has been reported to be delivering with good customer feedback for some time now so all the old problems you heard about, I believe, have been resolved to customer's satisfaction and business has been progressing with new features being added to the firmware along the way. eg. support of the JVC and Mits DVHS VCR's as well as PC HDTV board input. When you saw it last I believe they only supported the Panasonic DVHS recorder.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again, Don.

I have a local tech. who could install the board. First, I need to buy the JVC. 6th Ave.in New Jersey ($1097) is out-of-stock presently, but promises new inventory in a few weeks. I hope that the add-on hardware for the 169Time that will allow satellite broadcast recording, becomes a reality soon.

I'm also seeing posts on this forum saying that Samsung will have a new STB with 1394 out before the end of the summer.

Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.