AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:edit: Nevermind - I found the cable info in the FAQ. Too bad this forum won't let me delete my own post.:end edit:

I know this has got to be a faq, but I can't find an answer on this from a source that isn't a dealer.

Do I really need to use a fancy $200 vga to bnc cable to hook the htpc up to the projector?

I just picked up a Sony 1272 and am tempted to buy a $25 cable just to get started with. Would that be a mistake? I'm looking at going no longer than 25 feet with it and will be wanting to go with as high a resolution as possible, or whatever's optimal. I've even thought about just buying a 6' cable and putting the htpc in the ceiling, but that would make getting to the dvd drive slightly more difficult. :)

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Dan - still learning

·
Registered
702 Posts
a $40 cable at Fry's works for me. By the way, you can also by BNC to RCA converters for $2 which creates a HD15 to component cable for projectors that support component in over the vga connector.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Too bad this forum won't let me delete my own post.
You can't delete the post because it started a new thread, if you deleted the post the thread would be deleted too and that isn't allowed anymore.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you're looking for the utmost in quality, you should do your best to avoid making unnecessary connections (as with a VGA breakout possibly barrelled onto your cable run) to your projector. The best is to solder your RGBHV cable directly onto the card! Next and much more reasonable would be to solder a short run of RGBHV cable to female BNC's (maybe mounted on a PCI blank plate) and then connect your long run to that. For an idea of what I'm talking about, since I might be as clear as mud, look for the info on Mike Parkers video card mod. He has some extreme mods which include bypassing the little VGA port and using RGBHV BNC connectors!

See this thread can still be useful and informative to anyone that might read!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.