AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a fast & cheap conversion of my current PC into a HTPC. I already have the DVD-ROM, don't want to change my GeForce2 but will need an audio card - but this is not my question.

I am wondering if outputing a signal to my interlaced TV from an adaptor (VGA to component, like this one here ) will work. Did anyone tried that? (I am guessing the component signal will be 480p - and that my TV will be fine with it even though I have an interlaced set (?) ).

EDIT: Just found out it's 93$ - maybe not a cheap solution... Open for suggestions, would a simple vid card be better?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I think you need HDTV to work with this VGA->progressive component signals. For interlaced TV the cheapest way is to do Svideo out from a video card or Hollywood+ hardware DVD decoder ($50). You can get external box that will convert VGA to Svideo but it'll be $100 or more (used for business presentation and laptops).

$93 actually is pretty cheap for a transcoder (that's what this is called) as Key Digital brand can be $300 although with better picture quality.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doing some more research I did find out I couldn't use the transcoder (thanks :)) with my interlace set. The Hollywood+ card approach seems the best way to do it for my immediate needs... Althought it doesn't seem to be well liked around here.

Any other way for me to play DVD-ROM/computer content on my interlaced TV?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Hyenna-

As Huey said, the only ways to send your signal into that TV is with your GeForce 2's TV-out connection (free, if it has one) or use an external PC-to-TV converter (about US$100). The only less expensive way might be to look for a cheap new video board that has TV-out, like a basic GeForce 2 MX. The Hollywood+ only displays the actual DVD movie and not the computer's desktop, I believe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
try to pick up a card with a TV-out module already on it. i have to say that i am surprised that your GF2 doesn't already have one on it (mine does, and it works ok). a good cheap card would probably be a radeon (not sure which model VE, 7200, 7500, etc). since you're going to an interlaced set, there isn't any reason for you to get much else.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Companies like Focus Enhancements (who are making an interesting video scaler) also make devices called a Scan Converter. They are basically VGA - > TV converters for those who do not have TV out. An external scan converter usually gives a better picture than using the crappy internal TV out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gg_YF21:

My video card is at least 2 years old, at the time a TV-out didn't seem that interesting and few cards had it anyway (at least when I got my PC). I agree getting another one is the best/only viable solution. I'll probably end up with a Radeon 7500 PCI working side by side with my GeForce2 AGP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.