AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just putting the finishing touches on my HTPC using ATI 9700 pro card. Hooked up via S-video to HDTV Toshiba RPTV. Picture looks pretty bad - I wasn't surprised! Can't really read text very well, etc. Would moving to a transcoder translate into a much better looking picture?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes. Much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much better.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well I'm certainly betting on it. I picked up an ATI 9000 Pro the other weekend, ordered a DVI -> DVI cable, realized TV has different DVI plug so I tried using the S-Video -> RCA adapter. Got a picture, but (like yours) it looks like hell. Ordered an S-video -> S-video cable. Still looks like hell.

I found out last sunday, from a FAQ on ATI's site, that the TV out only does 800x600 @ 60Hz, no matter what. So I've now ordered a VGA -> Component transcoder from Digital Connection and it should (hopefully) ship sometime this week.

Just as a side note, when I was using the DVI -> DVI cable the ATI display control panel recognized my TV (had the model number listed) but I couldn't get a picture on it. Kinda strange, especially since it was the wrong type of connector and wouldn't seat to the TV properly.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
you can always get the ATI HDTV adapter :)

I have it and love it. Many people complain about it but mostly people that havent owned it. And it requires just as much setup as a transcoder if not less depending on resolutions wanted :)

you can check out my setup here:
My HTPC

The biggest benefit to the ATI adapter ove transcoder is you can have interlaced overlays and run your DVD movies at 1080i resolutions. You will need another program to assist in the macrovision protection that kicks in though called DVD Idle

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Micah
I found out last sunday, from a FAQ on ATI's site, that the TV out only does 800x600 @ 60Hz, no matter what. So I've now ordered a VGA -> Component transcoder from Digital Connection and it should (hopefully) ship sometime this week.

You won't do much better resolution-wise with a transcoder: you need to use timings your TV can sync to. However, even 640x480 looks, oh, about a 1000 times better through a transcoder than with S-Video: i.e., no interlacing.

That is all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.