AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two LCD with DVI inputs and a Radeon 9600 with one DVI out and one VGA out. Iwanted to do a dual monitor setup off that one card. Has anyone had any luck using a vga to dvi adapter? I'm trying to but the monitor isn't receptive. I've done my searches and know about DVI-I but am not sure if that card (or even how I can change it) outputs that. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoju /forum/post/0

I've got two LCD with DVI inputs and a Radeon 9600 with one DVI out and one VGA out. Iwanted to do a dual monitor setup off that one card. Has anyone had any luck using a vga to dvi adapter? I'm trying to but the monitor isn't receptive. I've done my searches and know about DVI-I but am not sure if that card (or even how I can change it) outputs that. Thanks for your help.

Here are a few pointers and definitions

All DVI connectors (whether its DVI-A, D, or I) looks similar, the only difference is that certain pins are enabled on the different versions of the connector.

DVI-D = Pure digital signal, cannot be converted to DVI-A

DVI-A = Regular analog (vga) signal but send through a DVI style connector. You can get adapters to convert DVI-A to regular VGA and vice versa

DVI-I = A connector than can carry both DVI-D and DVI-A signals. If a DVI-A signal is being sent through the DVI-I connector, then you can use the VGA adapter for this as well. If a graphics card has a DVI-I connector it will most likely be able to send both analog and digital at the same time. Conversely, if a LCD TV has a DVI-I input, chances are, it can only accept the analog or digital signal, not both at once.

So it really depends on your LCD TV if it accepts only pure digital (DVI-D) signals or it can received both analog and digital via a DVI-I connector. I highly doubt your TV will only accept DVI-A signals with its DVI connector, if that was the case, they probably would have just use a VGA connector instead of DVI. If it can accept both via a DVI-I connector, chances are, there is some menu option on the TV that will let you choose whether the DVI-I connector is in analog (DIV-A) or digital (DVI-D) mode. Hope this helps.

EDITED to clarify DVI-I some more

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.