AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sharp 50" HDTV ready receiver and a DTC-100. I don't want to buy the converter from vga to RGB if I don't have to, so I got a VGA to BNC cable. I cut off the red, blue and green BNC connectors and soldered on RCA connectors. I plugged the red into (Pr), the blue into (Pb)and the green into (Y) on my TV. Is this correct? I get a black screen with sound when I push the HDTV button on the DTC-100. It works perfectly in the regular mode, I get 199 and 509. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
271 Posts
No thats not right. For one you dont need a vga to rgb converter. You may need a vga to component video convertor.

The signal from your tuner was red green blue and sync (the same as a computer monitor). The signal on the pr pb and y is color difference.

You should list your model number. Most recent sharp tvs have at least 2 component and one RGB.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Model is a 50NP4. It has two inputs in back and one on the front. The two in back have S-video, video/left/right rca's and Y/Pr/Pb rca's. Which do I use? Do I have to buy the convertor box? I believe this tv is made buy Hitachi for Sharp.Front panel looks like Hitachi and remote control code is for Hitachi.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well i cant seem to find any mention of that tv anywhere. Are you sure that is the correct model number? Usually they are 7 or so characters.

Either way do you have an idea whether the component inputs are progressive?

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
To hook up a DTC100 to a TV with RCA or BNC connections would require 5 connectors. The DTC100 outputs seperate H&V sync. That's what those other two connectors are for.

There is a RGB standard which puts compsoite sync on the green channel. Some projectors can accept this. But even if your Sharp TV has this type of input (doubtfull) the DTC100 cannot output this type of signal.

You need an Audio Authority 9A60 or Key Digital unit to convert the VGA signal to YpBpR. The Key Digital unit should work without exception. The AA 9A60 has problems with some Panasonic TV's but is 1/3 the cost of the Key Digital.

Perhaps some fellow members can comment on the AA 9A60 with your model TV. FWEIW, I use a 9A60 on a DTC100 into a Pioneer 710, it works great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ciper, the model # is correct. They have a 50np4 and a 60np4. One is a 50" and one a 60". I have read on a couple of forums where people have used this cable with good success, but I guess in my case no luck. Thanks everybody for the fast response. Tommorow I will be buying a convertor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.