AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The folks that did the cabling in our new house ran five MIT RG-6 Silver cables from the HTPC position to the CRT ceiling mount position. The video card is a Radeon 7200 and the CRT is a Sony G90. The cable run lengths are 25-30 feet. I've been searching and reading up on connecting the HTPC to the CRT. It looks like I've got the ability to create a high quality connection between the HTPC and the CRT with these cables, but I've still got a few questions:

- How critical is it to get the same exact lengths for all of the RG-6 cables? They are individually run through the front wall up and through the ceiling. Even though I cut them all at the same point at each end, I'm guessing their actual lengths could differ by as much as an inch or two.

- Although attaching the BNC connectors at the CRT end seems fairly simple, the VGA connector at the HTPC side looks difficult. Is this strictly required, or could I instead use an existing 4-ft VGA to RGBHV video cable? (By the way, is this what everybody keeps referring to as a breakout cable?) I could put female BNC connectors at that end of the RG-6 cables and connect the 4-ft one using these. Alternatively, I could cut the BNC connectors off of the 4-ft cable and solder the wires directly to the RG-6 cables. Is eliminating one of the BNC connections significant enough to do this?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm not an electrician or an expert on cables by any means, but the length of the cables should not be significant enough to make a difference. If you had lengths that were different by hundreds of feet, then maybe it would become noticible, but even then I would doubt it.

As for connecting your HTPC, I think the easiest and most flexible route for you would be to attach female connectors on the HTPC ends of the RG-6 and use the breakout cable to connect. This way if you ever want to move something around, you're not tied (or soldered) to the cables. Again, the fact that you have an extra connection would be negligible.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'll be devils advocate..

With such a nice projector, the extremely good signal (high bandwidth) you should be sending it could definitely get hurt by having that extra connection in a 30ft chain.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have my Sony 1272Q connected to my HTPC with a break out cable (as you mentioned) to RG-6 cable (length of 25 feet) with F-Connectors on each end, I then use Radio Shack F-Connector to BNC Adapters at each end of the RG-6 Cable. One end is connected to the projector, the other end uses a BNC Coupling to mate up with the breakout cable. This works fine for me.

Howard

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Another option would be to modify your video card with BNC connectors. There have been others who have done this and I believe they have posted pictures. You may also want to do a search on the CRT Forum. Mike Parker is working on a mod to the Radeon card that is supposed to increase the pic quality out of the Radeon card. The mod includes BNC connectors as well.

As far as using the RG6 for a VGA cable...I think your biggest problem is going to be the size of the RG6 cables. I don't think you will be able to get them in the VGA connector.

I would strongly discourage cutting the ends off and soldering. At that point you have no way of knowing if the connection is still 75 ohm. If you are going to use a breakout cable DO NOT buy one of the cheap computer store cables. With the quality of your projector I would suggest you look at avcable.com or bettercables.com. I have a NEC XG110 and I initially used one of the cheap computer store cables. There was significant ghosting at 1280x720. Also, get some true 75 ohm BNC barrel connectors. This will make you current BNC connectors female. I was able to get some Canare 75ohm barrel connectors at markertek.com.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

I see two possible 'no compromise' solutions here; either a Mike Parker mod to the graphics card with addition of BNC connectors at the PC, or an Extron driver interface such as a 202xi. Read about both here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=131881

I have Extron units and cables for sale, e.mail me if interested.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GScott: I like the idea of a modified Radeon card. I'll go over to the CRT forum and check it out.

In lieu of a modified card, it sounds like you recommend a high-quality breakout cable, male BNC connectors on both ends of the five RG-6 cables, and barrel BNC connectors between the breakout and RG-6 cables. You're not concerned the extra connections will degrade the signal?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say KCL

The card alone does not have line driver circuitry to go 30 feet; most cards are set up to drive maximum six foot monitor cables, nothing longer. Some projectors benfit from a hotter signal also, thus explaining the popularity of the Extron units.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
When I decided to go the HTPC route - I did a lot of reading and many threads mentioned that you should have some type of amplification / distribution unit (like the Extrons) from the HTPC to get better PQ. So in my setup - I have my HTPC Radeon 7500 > breakout cable > Electrohome video amplifier (all BNC connections) output one to the CRT via BNC and RG6, output two to a cheapo 15" monitor via breakout cable. This works for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.