AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm embarrased to say that my TV-out to my HTPC is currently via s-video (old 32" TV so I have no choice), and while for the most part the picture quality watching DVD's tc in Media Center is ok i was wondering whether and there would be any benefit in using a VGA cable instead with a converter (to S-video) just before it enters the TV - would the quality improve? Or is this still as poor as running an s-video cable all the way straight from my graphics card?

I have seen a load of these selling on ebay (picture attached hopefully) and would greatly appreciate anyones take on this.

Thanks,

Jake

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
You would need an encoder/scan convertor....which is what your video card has on it already.

The breakout cable you linked to doesn't convert VGA to Y/C.

·
Registered
941 Posts
In my experience the S-Video quality is much better with a scan converter than the TV-out from a graphics card. But I only have 1 scan converter and two graphics cards (ATI Rage II+DVD and Radeon 7000) with TV-out to compare.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Depending on your settings, TV output can be very nice. I had my Radeon 9000 Pro hooked up via Svideo to my old 41" Sony RPTV, resolution set to 640x480, with video mode on in the display settings. the test looked perfectly sharp, with 640x480 and video mode on, it sets it to its native resolution, 480i.

I have no idea how using a VGA to Svideo converter could be better than using a video cards TV out, unless your video card is really old/crappy, or you have the wrong settings.

I suggest you dont run the resolution above 720x480.

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input.

Im using a GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb incidentally at 800x600. (640x480 for some reason produces some strange colour distortion down the left hand side of the screen)

The truth is that for the most part the picture is very nice, i suppose i'm being a bit picky. The only time i really have an issue is with LiveTV (MCE 2005), but again the picture is pretty good - i think its a number of frames per second issue i have (using Win TV PVR-500MCE), but i suppose thats a completely different issue from the cabling and a topice for a different section. Maybe its a factor of my HTPC being just a 1800+ 512mb......

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.