AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have toshiba laptop with NVIDIA GO FX 5200 graphics card and VGA out. I recently got Samsung 1080P HLR6168. What are my options for connecting laptop to TV? What will give better screen on TV VGA to VGA OR VGA to DVI?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
VGA to VGA will do better than having to purchase a VGA to DVI trasncoder to covert the analog VGA signal to a digital DVI signal. A Nvidia card with DVI and VGA out would even be cheaper than a transcoder.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
The TV's VGA input readily supports 1920x1080 @ 60hz, so use the TV's VGA port for the sake of certainty of achieving a 1080p signal.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Are you sure the Samsung supports 1080p over VGA?

It apparently does not support 1080p over component.
You can read the manual yourself.

Samsung Manual

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Once you plug that laptop w/ that weak 5200 GPU to your 1080p TV, then what else can you do? Definitely not play games or upscale w/ ffdshow...

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
Once you plug that laptop w/ that weak 5200 GPU to your 1080p TV, then what else can you do? Definitely not play games or upscale w/ ffdshow...
Miketech always has to let someone down and tell it like it is. I'm sure the original poster understands that and plans on doing regular functions with the laptop. Or at least I hope the poster understands.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks MSmith83. As u said I am just going to use it for regular web surfing and stuff. I am not a gamer and I have a dedicated upscaling dvd player.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.