AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RCA 36110 and the compatible RCA DTC-100 STB.

I've been looking at HD for sometime now. However, I would always feel the quality was not up to par. Don't get me wrong, The picture looks great. But there was a sense of depth and detail lacking. I know this TV is not as good as a true 16x9 TV.

So out of curiosity I decided to see how the HD picture would look via component input. So I borrowed a RCA VHDC300 VGA/Component adapter from a friend of mind.

I truly did not expect any improvement, given the fact that the signal would now have to be converted from VGA to Component. So I went ahead and hooked it up anyway.

I must say, that I was surprised at the detail, color accuracy and sense of depth. The HD picture actually took on a more true HD look.

Because of the appreciable improvements made via component, I decided to go ahead and purchase a RCA adaptor myself.

I am now totally pleased with my HD experience.

For those of you that have the RCA MM36110 or the Hitachi or Thompson equivalent. I highly recommend that you give this a try. I believe that you will be just as pleased as I am now.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Oddly enough, I was in one of the local emporeums last saturday and a friendly salesman confided to me that he believed component connections were incapable of providing good HD signals to the Sony televisions that they carry. I remember reading somewhere that a VGA connection had a higher potential bandwidth, I think, but there are many other factors that could have an affect on the picture, I guess. Art

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Hmmmm, the Dish 6000 has both VGA and Component Outputs. Time to go and test them both to see if there is much of a difference. I have the MM52110, which I have loved since I got it. I know, I know, I am still not completely sold on 16x9, but this was a great TV for the price, and the HD stuff I have seen so far looks very nice! I'll have to try the component input and see what's up.

------------------

Michael Mullis

Director of US Operations

Next Level Gaming
http://www.nlgaming.com

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
I know some high-end HT receivers, like the Denon 5800 IIRC, has switching for wideband component inputs. Is there any manufacturer planning to support multiple VGA inputs on a receiver or are they going to Firewire instead?

·
Super Moderator
21,529 Posts
I compared HDTV from an HD-100 into a Pioneer 50" HD Plasma display: via S video(thru display line doubler which is excellent),thru VGA, and thru Component inputs- the Component input was the best picture, next was S video, last was VGA which appeared dark. Now I only buy Component video HD equipment. The only problem is a switcher for Component video, when you do find them on a preamp or receiver, there are not enough inputs/outputs! Once I get this figured out, firewire interfaces will be more common and will have to start all over again.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Some sets, such as my Sampo, have enhancement circuitry activated on the component inputs that cannot be defeated. This circuitry can superficially add "snap" to the picture but I found that it detracted from the "open window" effect and I went back to the VGA input.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin:
I compared HDTV from an HD-100 into a Pioneer 50" HD Plasma display: via S video(thru display line doubler which is excellent),thru VGA, and thru Component inputs- the Component input was the best picture, next was S video, last was VGA which appeared dark. Now I only buy Component video HD equipment. The only problem is a switcher for Component video, when you do find them on a preamp or receiver, there are not enough inputs/outputs! Once I get this figured out, firewire interfaces will be more common and will have to start all over again.
Mark:

Are you saying that an incoming HD signal downconverted to 480i via the s-video out of your HD receiver and line doubled by your HD display to 480p looked better than the original HD signal coming directly from the VGA out of your HD-100 to your HDTV?

If so, that would seems very unusual. Are you sure that you are not reacting to the difference in brightness or contrast, etc., which normally is adjustable for each input, versus the resolution of the images?

Larry

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Isn't the RCA based on a princeton TV or vice versa?

I remember reading that the VGA input on the princeton TV defaults to computer color temperatures and whatnot and that the VGA input really was only for computers with Component for HDTV and DVD etc. If what I remember is true, and the RCA is based on the princeton (or vice versa) then that would explain the differences you noticed.

I remember reading in the pefect vision some months ago...

------------------

All your bases are belonging to us since 1902...

·
Super Moderator
21,529 Posts
Larry- allow me to clarify:

Line doubler only works on S-Video inputs, not on VGA or Component from what I understand

Now as to Component vs VGA-I prefer the component because I can set HD-100 to variable and get full screen

I realize I can adjust for brightness, etc on each input.

[This message has been edited by markrubin (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by akm3:
Isn't the RCA based on a princeton TV or vice versa?
I think it's based on a Hitachi model. Dunno if any Princeton products are likewise based, though.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well I'll be damned.

When I first saw this thread, I figured all the people posting to it were high on crack.

rgb+hv > y/pr/pb. Its in the bible I thought.

Anyone who says otherwise has been taking too many tokes from the hooka.

Ive been having some problems with my hipix to my mits 55805 set. The contrast on the screen seems to change on dark scenes where a bright object pans across the screen. (yes its not my set's dc restoration, it only happens on 1080i material, not on 480p from my progressive or other souc\

ces)

The overall contrast seemed highly unstable on these darker scenes with noticeable banding occuring when a brighter object appeared, esp to the left of the dark scenes. Usuually such details are not noticed by my better half but even she acknowledged it during the season finale of the sopranos.

Well I switched from rgb+hv to y/pb/pt settings on both my hipix and my mits set and lo and behold, the same episode I recorded did not exhibit the same "banding" or contrast problem. Please note that I am passing this thru a 25ft vga extension cord. (I can't help it, my htpc is in another room)

So please change my order from chicken to component.

RGB+ HV is not all its cracked up to be. Someone break the bad news to my dreamcast.

K

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin:
Larry- allow me to clarify:

Line doubler only works on S-Video inputs, not on VGA or Component from what I understand

Now as to Component vs VGA-I prefer the component because I can set HD-100 to variable and get full screen

I realize I can adjust for brightness, etc on each input.

[This message has been edited by markrubin (edited 06-05-2001).]
Mark:

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, line doubling only works with NTSC signals. What confused me in your previous posting was the statement"...the Component input was the best picture, next was S video, last was VGA which appeared dark."in which it appeared that you were comparing a standard definition s-video signal to a VGA high definition signal, and prefered the picture quality of the lower resolution signal.

Based on your clarification it seems that your preference for Component over VGA may be based more on aspect ratio viewing preferences rather than differences in picture quality.

Larry

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I have a Hitachi 36" HD-ready set that is very similar to the RCA sets. I have a DTC-100 connected to one VGA input and I sometimes connect my computer to the other VGA input.

On my set, there are computer monitor-like controls that affect only the signals input via VGA. I can also adjust color temperature (two settings only) for VGA without affecting component or NTSC.

I get a beautiful HD OTA and DirecTV picture that has better detail and color than my progressive scan DVD (Toshiba SD-5109) connected to the HD progressive scan component input on my TV. That component input also has some controls (labeled "Advanced Settings") that affect only the component input, including its own color temperature choices (2 again) and a defeat for "auto color adjustment."

Don't get me wrong, my DVDs with anamorphic squeeze (which my component input supports without mal-adjusting the TV) provide beautiful pictures also, but just not quite as good as the HD via VGA.

I have adjusted the non-VGA portion of my set (not professionally) to reasonable brightness, contrast and color levels (roughly 20% of the maximum settings). Also, the Sharpness control on my set needed to be reduced to somewhere between 0 and 10%. All of these adjustments affect both the component input and NTSC (whether S-video, composite or RF/OTA). For component, I'd rather have the Sharpness set at zero to eliminate undesirable ringing. But, "normal" TVs use the Sharpness enhancement to give the appearance of sharper focus. My family noticed this difference so I moved the Sharpness control to the compromise 10% setting.

I've made appropriate (separate) adjustments for the VGA inputs (but they were pretty good from the factory because they start at mid-range). Again, I used my adjusted component DVD settings as a reference to match the VGA settings to.

Before I bought my Hitachi set, I was told it had the same basic chassis as the RCA sets, but Hitachi had additional features, including a built-in line doubler for NTSC and the anamorphic squeeze for the component input.

Note that the VGA input has no need for anamorphic squeeze. The 4x3 or 16x9 display is controlled from the DTC-100. In the HD mode, with a true HD source, the display provides a letterboxed 16x9 picture that looks the same as the anamorphic squeeze does on an appropriate DVD. The vertical resolution is equally good in both modes (VGA HD and vertically squeezed component DVD).

If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you use one of the DVD calibration disks and set up your component input as directed by the DVD. Then, adjust your VGA video settings to get a comparable picture from the DTC-100. I don't know enough about the RCA sets to know how much independence you have in setting VGA, component and NTSC separately.

Someone in this thread mentioned a 25 foot VGA cable. I've been told that a high quality VGA cable over six feet in length starts to roll off higher frequencies and will noticably affect picture quality. I am using a 3 foot VGA cable from my DTC-100 to my Hitachi TV.

Good luck. You should be able to get an excellent VGA-fed HD signal. I've seen the DTC-100 and RCA 36" HD ready TV together on display at BB and CC. Both had excellent HD pictures when the settings are correct.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Budget_HT (edited 06-08-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.