AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My projector (NEC MT1040) will only accept a component input via a VGA (15 pin) connector. According to the manual there are several menu options which are only available when the projector is being driven with a component signal.

The question...is component generally better than VGA or should I do all the image manipulation on the PC and simply use a standard VGA signal?

My instinct is that I'm doing the right thing now (driving the projector at its native resolution from a VGA distribution amplifier) but I'd just like to get some opinions from those of you with more experience since this is my first projector. BTW - the image I get now looks pretty fantastic, but I'm a geek at heart so it's important for me to explore *all* opportunities to make things more complicated. :D:D:D

Best Regards,

Kevin.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If you have suitable cables and a nice signal, both will work well I believe.

If component offers advantages over VGA, the Key Digital transcoder has been said to be indistinguishable from a straight-through connection when reviewed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the same PJ...

I don't understand what you mean by component input. Please explain.

I am currently running this PJ with an HTPC via the VGA input. IMHO, it looks fantastic.

But, like you, if I can get it to look even better... I am willing to spend countless hours and sleepless nights researching and tweaking and wiring to get even the slightest perceptible shade of improvement. :)

My friend down the street has a CRT that I am always in competition with...

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I can't imagine any reason component would be superior to RGB (VGA), as a matter of fact I think RGB is potentially better. However, it is easier for your projector to manipulate the component signal, hence the reason there are controls available for component that are not available for RGB.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
RGB is component (three components - red, green and blue). I think what you mean is YUV (also component video). RGB is better than YUV as YUV's color information is sampled to two components. When YUV is processed the luminance component (Y) and the two color components (UV) are decoded into RGB. YUV takes up less bandwidth but you lose a bit of color fidelity compared to hi-fi RGB. For more info on RGB vs. YUV Check out http://www.networkcomputing.com/1214/1214f28.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input and I'm going to stay with RGB. The picture is incredibly good and upon further research I can do *all* the same picture adjustments via the overlay controls at the PC.

Now if I could just find an econo-mode for my geek sensibilities! :)

Many Thanks,

Kevin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.