AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone. My current setup consists of an RCA DTC 100 and a pioneer 532HD5 tv. My question is right now I am currently using the VGA output from the DTC to the VGA input on my tv. I was just wondering if there was any benefit of buying the RCA VCHD300 converter and running the VGA to the component inputs to my tv.

I was reading in my tv manual that in VGA mode it only supports the 1080i mode, while in the component mode it supports the 1080i and 480p mode. Is this correct? If it is maybe I should buy the converter. What's another 100 bucks compared to what I have already spent.

One other question, what will my tv do with the stations that display the 720 mode. Will it convert to 1080i or just not use the High Def signal at all? Thanks again in advance. You all are very helpful.

Mike

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Indeed, forget the transcoder. This has been discussed many times before, do a search for details.

For HDTV, your set will only do 1080i, but the DTC-100 will convert the 720p to 1080i, so you still get HDTV from the 720p source, ABC. The conversion is not perfect as you will probably get interlace artifacts that would not be there with 720p, but with your current display it will still look like HDTV. Which is to say, great.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad to hear that I'm not left out on the channels that display 720 only.

I will do further searching on the converter in this forum like you have suggested. I didn't realize I had other options. Thanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The quality of VGA cables varies quite a bit, but a general rule of thumb is the thicker the cable, the better the shielding (yes, it's only a rough estimate). A high-quality VGA cable should give you VERY high quality HDTV with minimal ghosting.

There is no need for you to spend money to convert to an inferior format (VGA has bandwidth of 100 MHz up to 1 GHz, whereas most component video equipment is limited to 50 MHz (yes, there are exceptions, but not many).

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.