AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I recently acquired an old Shuttle type PC that I plan to use as an HTPC. Its got an older P4 3.0 HT chip, 2 gigs of RAM and no hard drive. I think its got an nVidia GeForce 6200 card in it, but I'm not 100% sure there. If its not the 6200, its comparable. I'm going to add an old 300 gig drive I've got laying around and my old Auzentech sound card. Its going to be hooked up to a Sony 46XBR6 (1080p, 120hz) TV. I'm not planning on using it for Blu Ray playback as I'm sure it doesn't have the horsepower for it. And its got an AGP mobo, so my options there are a bit limited. And I don't want to spend any money on it. I will most likely use it for DVD and music playback only. And maybe some older games (UT, Counter Strike, maybe some WoW.)

So, the question I pose is this. Given that I don't have to worry about HDCP, should I hook it up to the TV via VGA or HDMI and why?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Which ever is easiest and/or looks the best to you. Check your TV manual, to make sure that it supports 1920x1080 resolution over VGA if you choose that route.

BB

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I would hook it up via HDMI/DVI because in my experience, color saturation and contrast is way better over those connections. I've seen people dispute that as false, but I know that if I hook up my computer monitor via VGA and then hook it up via DVI, the difference is night and day. VGA=Unviewable/washed out/very soft. DVI=razor sharp / great saturation/excellent contrast.

jmho.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
And for me it is the opposite. VGA is sharper and the desktop is crisper. Granted this is on an older plasma but it is definitely worse with HDMI.

Try one and if you aren't happy try the other.

BB

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, according to the manual, either way I should be fine. The only limitation I could find is that the set won't accept an interlaced signal over VGA, but I don't think that's a real issue. It'll do 720p and 1080p as well as standard pc resolutions. It won't do 1080p/24, but as I won't be doing any Blu Ray I don't think that'll be an issue either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts